From: forsyth@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Booting Plan9
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 09:52:25 +0100	[thread overview]

>>from the disk. This does not work at all because the Windows ME idea of a
>>boot record may be different from Windows 98 or NT.

it's not so much the boot record as the config.sys and other
files that aren't used in ME.  it just occurred to me that
the bootwinnt option (see /sys/lib/pcdist/inst/bootwinnt)
updates a file boot.ini instead; perhaps that's usable on ME.
i haven't got my ME machine with me to experiment.

>>    However when I try to boot from the boot floppy it hangs after it says
>>its booting the image from sdC0. The message I get is panic: kernel iunlock.
>>I've looked at the code in code in /sys/src/boot/pc and I cannot find this
>>message though there seem to be iunlocks associated with ethernet drivers.

panic: iunlock is there.  is it really `kernel iunlock'?

>>   I have a 3COM PCMCIA 3C905C lan card. Would this cause a problem?  The
>>CPU is a 1.2 Gig Athlon.

is it really PCMCIA?  the only PCMCIA 3com cards supported (i believe) are 3c589, 3c562
and some minor variants.  normally 3C905 is a PCI card.  i'll see if i can find a 905C
card here that's not in use, to test it.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2352 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] Booting Plan9
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:25:42 GMT

Hi
    I'm trying to install Plan9 on a new PC. I've got 3 partitions. Windows
ME hogs the first two and I'm trying to install Plan 9 on the third
partition (its about 30 GB).
    The installation of Plan 9 goes through quite successfully. I have no
problems with the VGA (ATI Xpert 98) and unpack proceeds well.
    Finally at bootsetup I created a boot floppy and I also opted to boot