From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: micro vs monolithic kernels
Date: Mon,  9 Apr 2001 22:33:47 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.1010409203706.14587y-100000@einstein.ssz.com> you write:
>The reality is that simply because you don't know of it, doesn't mean it
>isn't.

Right.  See below.

>And as to 'it's hard', and you people are supposed to be world class
>programmers?

This is really rude.  Russ has been nothing but gracious in hearing out
your thoughts on this matter, and doesn't deserve this sort of
response.  In fact, none of the Bell Labs folks do....

There's no mandate which says that they HAVE to share their work with
the rest of the world, and certainly none that says that they have to
spend time packaging it into an easy to swallow pill before doing so.

If you perceive a problem, then continue with pursuing a solution, by
all means.  But don't act as if it should be the rest of the world's
number one priority to help you do so.  Sometimes the problems you see
aren't the ones that matter to other people, and vice versa, as you
yourself have pointed out.

Hmm, there's been a lot said on this.  I'll spare 9fans and myself
further replies.

	- Dan C.

(ps- The Bell Labs folks *are* world class programmers, but that's
evident from their code.)