From: forsyth@vitanuova.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] micro vs monolithic kernels
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:56:38 +0100	[thread overview]

it's possible to do this with plan 9.  in fact, it's usually quicker, because
once the configuration is set up on the file server (even if that's on a kfs
partition of a cpu server), all the terminals share the same configuration,
and you just have to boot them.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3530 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Cc: einstein.ssz.com!hangar18
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:52:23 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Russ Cox wrote:

> you wouldn't expect to set up a full-blown windows nt
> file server in a few hours and have it work.  you wouldn't
> (or at least shouldn't) expect to sit down with the red hat
> box and have a linux system completely ready to go in a
> few hours.

I'll have to disagree. My day job is taking GA code for a very large
software/hardware company and testing it on new OS'es as they come out
the door. I manage a group of 5 engineers who spend their week doing about
25-50 OS loads a week and then running the resultant through an automated
testsuite.

On average a MS or Linux box takes between 2-3 hours to config once the
binaries are installed and the system rebooted. I can have a linux box up
and running (sendmail, bind, majordomo, etc.) up and running in under two
hours myself (and have been hitting that target for several years now).
This doesn't include kernel compile time.

So, trying to set the 'base line' standard to install and config a box
outside of 8 hours (a regular work day) is being unreasonable. It should
take x number of hours to setup networking, name resolution, MTA, etc. The
process should be scripted as none of these apps should have ANY hardware
dependency at all.

Saying that your OS won't allow one to configure these base services in a
reasonable and repeatable amount of time is a cop-out.

You guys should work in a 'production' environment, you're getting flabby
around your pre-frontals...

       To speak algebraically, Mr. M. is execrable, but Mr. G. is
       (x+1)-ecrable.
                                         Edgar Allan Poe

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com