* Re: [9fans] Bitsy models
@ 2001-04-19 15:38 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-19 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>web pages.  Of course the info I found is contradictory

i'm afraid so:
i've got an H3630 that didn't come with the flash card expansion pack
and an H3650 that i bought here (outside the US).

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1628 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: [9fans] Bitsy models
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 10:48:15 -0400

Here's a little more from digging through compaq's
web pages.  Of course the info I found is contradictory
but most of them seem to indicate the following:

The H3660 is the non-US version of the H3670 - 64MB SDRAM
The H3630 is the non-US version of the H3635 - 32MB SDRAM
	- comes with a compaq flash card expansion pack
The H3640 is the non-US version of the H3650 - 32MB SDRAM

* Re: [9fans] Bitsy models
@ 2001-04-25  8:55 ` David Ness
From: David Ness @ 2001-04-25  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Here's a little more from digging through compaq's
> web pages.  Of course the info I found is contradictory
> but most of them seem to indicate the following:
>
> The H3660 is the non-US version of the H3670 - 64MB SDRAM
> The H3630 is the non-US version of the H3635 - 32MB SDRAM
>         - comes with a compaq flash card expansion pack
> The H3640 is the non-US version of the H3650 - 32MB SDRAM

FYI this topic has been `beaten to death' for months (nearly a year) now in
the various iPAQ discussion groups.

A summary of what I have learned from reading several hundred (many incorrect,BTW)
messages on this topic:

For the US:
    3630 vs. 3650 has to do with distribution channel, not to do with what is `in the
    box'. There are some (slight) variations in packaging but _in the US_ one set of
    numbers was for the Circuit City/Best Buy chain type stores, and the other was for
    more conventional distriubtion channels.

When you move out of the US, what is `in the box' may vary country to country (sometime
there is USB, sometimes only Serial), but---unfortunately---this appears to have _nothing_
to do with the 3630 vs 3650 label.

So, the moral of the story is:
   Don't assume much from numbering, at least on the 3630/3650 front. The current US
   labelling suggests that the 3635 is a 3630/3650 + CF Sleeve + Some software, while
   the 3670 is the 64mb machine, but I wouldn't bet much on any particular `outside
   the US' labelling.

* Re: [9fans] Bitsy models
@ 2001-04-24 21:06   ` David Ness
From: David Ness @ 2001-04-24 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Plan9 Forum

presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> Here's a little more from digging through compaq's
> web pages.  Of course the info I found is contradictory
> but most of them seem to indicate the following:
>
> The H3660 is the non-US version of the H3670 - 64MB SDRAM
> The H3630 is the non-US version of the H3635 - 32MB SDRAM
>         - comes with a compaq flash card expansion pack
> The H3640 is the non-US version of the H3650 - 32MB SDRAM

FYI this topic has been `beaten to death' for months (nearly a year) now in
the various iPAQ discussion groups.

A summary of what I have learned from reading several hundred (many incorrect,BTW)
messages on this topic:

For the US:
    3630 vs. 3650 has to do with distribution channel, not to do with what is `in the
    box'. There are some (slight) variations in packaging but _in the US_ one set of
    numbers was for the Circuit City/Best Buy chain type stores, and the other was for
    more conventional distriubtion channels.

When you move out of the US, what is `in the box' may vary country to country (sometime
there is USB, sometimes only Serial), but---unfortunately---this appears to have _nothing_
to do with the 3630 vs 3650 label.

So, the moral of the story is:
   Don't assume much from numbering, at least on the 3630/3650 front. The current US
   labelling suggests that the 3635 is a 3630/3650 + CF Sleeve + Some software, while
   the 3670 is the 64mb machine, but I wouldn't bet much on any particular `outside
   the US' labelling.

* [9fans] Bitsy models
@ 2001-04-19 14:48 presotto