From: Sape Mullender <sape@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] iPAQ success.
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:53:44 -0400	[thread overview]

The bitsy screen hardware is oriented in landscape mode, both Wince
and Plan 9 use it in portrait mode, 240 wide, 320 high.  It has 16-bit
color (r5g6b5), although only 12 of those bits make it through to the
display.

We have a keyboard/scribble widget that we use for character input.
The scribble character set resembles that of the Palm very closely.

There are four buttons on the front and one on the side that we have
programmed to be mouse buttons 2 through 6.  The rocker pad sends
arrow keys to /dev/cons.  Button chording is is not possible because the
button hardware doesn't  provide for it.

The pen normally generates button 1 events, but, when any of the other
buttons are depressed, it generates events on the associated button.

/dev/audio works, but we've found that our code for volume control
doesn't work on several of the bitsies we have.  So anyone out there
with Plan 9 on a bitsy, please try out your volume control
(echo -n audio out nn >/dev/volume, where nn is between 0 and 100)
and ley me know if it works.

There is a Plan 9 mp3 jukebox player in the works.  We currently have
one for a Bell-Labs proprietary compression scheme that we're not allowed
to give away.  We tried.  Sorry.

	Sape

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1818 bytes --]

From: nw@metadesign.com.au
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:56:33 GMT

While I wait for a serial cable to do the install, would it be
possible for someone to link to some screenshots of Plan9 on iPAQ
please. My imagination is too limited to visualise what it would look
like. For example, is the screen orientated vertically or
horizontally? is it adjustable?

Are there examples of the newer user interface elements in action?