* Re: [9fans] Publish and be damned.
@ 2001-04-22 23:52 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-04-22 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Well, if Russ has started something, that's a place to begin
> building.  Russ?  In your copious free time, could you confirm
> or deny this allegation?

It's not true.  I've done nothing but port CVS, and even
that I didn't finish (the port is only the client).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Publish and be damned.
@ 2001-04-22 16:12 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-04-22 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I was going to let this go by uncorrected, but now that it's
come up again...

Lucio on Apr 20 10:45:
> I still need to spend some effort to make the CVS server accessible.
> What I feel a project like this needs is the encouragement of Bell
> Labs, at the very minimum an understanding that its purpose is not
> contrary to Bell Labs' intentions, and that there is a place where
> mutually exclusive objectives can be negotiated to some compromise.

Steve Kilbane, later:
> But either way, I don't see any conflicts here. Russ's comments on avoiding
> conflicts with BL's interests aside, I don't see a problem with Lucio setting
> up the server. Those who like the idea will join in; those who don't, won't.
> Whether it'll produce anything better than what would happen otherwise,
> I don't know.

Lucio again, later:
> I hope I didn't miss an important comment from Russ, if there are
> conflicts with Bell Labs, I would want to be amongst the first to
> know.

I said nothing of the sort.  I think Steve made a reasonable inference
from Lucio's original reply.  I don't remember exactly what I said in
the private message, but it had nothing to do with Bell Labs.  It was
more ``I'm skeptical, but doing something is better than sitting and
complaining.  Let's try it.''

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Publish and be damned.
@ 2001-04-21 14:34 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-04-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Apr 21 09:44:29 EDT 2001, boyd@planete.net wrote:
> 6. my apologies to the list/group for this waste of time and bandwidth.

It's not just time and bandwidth being taken up by this drivel, it's
irreplaceable space on /n/dump. You can apologise all you want but it
doesn't get the space back (in fact, it just compounds the problem, so
don't bother to respond). Think about whether we might find it relevant
and/or interesting before you post to the mailing list).

Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Publish and be damned.
@ 2001-04-20 14:52 nemo
From: nemo @ 2001-04-20 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

:  To Nemo:
:
:  I've been reading your commentary, and would like to feed back to you

Please do.

:  some corrections, as well as obtain the most recent copy, in one form

it's always at http://gsyc.escet.urjc.es/~nemo/9.{ps,txt,us.ps}.gz

:  or another.  Would you consider making it CVS-accessible in source
:  form?

sure.

* [9fans] Publish and be damned.
@ 2001-04-20  5:54 Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-04-20  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have raised that cry before, but I seem to be just a voice in
the wilderness.  However, I can offer a public CVS repository for
those who, like me, think that incomplete source is nothing to be
ashamed of.

 From monitoring this list, both forsyth and rsc have an endless
supply of unfinished tools that I would be thrilled to examine for
examples of interesting programming in Plan 9.

I'd also like to see publication of those bits of second edition
Plan 9 that can be made available without additional licence
restrictions.

Basically, I'll give anonymous read access to the CVS repository
to anyone who's interested, and write access to anyone willing to
contribute and monitor a particular module.  I'll configure CVS to
suit these "moderators", even provide mailing list capabilities
where required (I'd rather use private C News groups and gateways,
but I need to set things up properly first).

Anyway, if there is enough interest I'll set the CVS repository up
and make occasional noises about it on this list (or leave it to
the Plan 9 FAQ to make the relevant noises).

I know this sounds terribly Open Source-ish, but I am a firm believer
that knowledge best builds on knowledge and I wish I could quote
Dijkstra where he bemoans the fact that too often in programming
only the end results of the thinking processes are disclosed, where
the important and more useful details lie with how the results were
reached.

++L

PS: the bandwidth to the CVS repository is not on par with what US
Internet users may be comfortable with; unfortunately, that is beyond
my ability to influence.