* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-24  6:25 rsc
From: rsc @ 2001-04-24  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

buy a new dongle.  they're usually $5 (try pricewatch.com).

* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 18:51   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-26 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Dan Cross" <cross@math.psu.edu>

> And yes, I agree that it's a bummer to have to pay for an incoming
> phone call.  Especially when it's someone I don't want to talk to
> (No, Cynthia is not here.  I don't know Cynthia.  I don't care to
> keep getting called at 8am on a Saturday by someone in Brooklyn
> looking for this Cynthia who I do not know.  I care even less to
> pay for the priviledge of being woken up to explain that I don't
> know Cynthia.  Kinda like the guy who was banging on my door the
> other night at 5:30 looking for Allison.  I don't know Allison
> either.  Maybe she's out with Cynthia; try looking in Brooklyn.)

yup, right out of _lethal weapon 4 with biscuits err... butter's and
leo's screaming match about mobiles.  at least they turned on caller
id here and it even propagates from the diversion from my home phone
to my mobile.  that way, even though i don't pay for the incoming
call, i pretty much know when to ignore it.

* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 18:37   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2001-04-26 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

then you should do something about it.. no one should pay by the minute
anymore...

i'm sure the USA people will be able to tell you more about it, but here's
the situation in (rural!) canada, (have in mind that the population density
in saskatchewan is around 3 people/km^2)...

phone -- base is $11 CND, free local phone calls.. (I personally buy prepaid
        phone cards to call overseas)

internet -- $45 CND; home.com cable modem, 200K/sec downloads, 30K/s uploads

the ones who live outside the cities and really want internet use a satelite
connection for their uplink, their requests usually go through a phone
line..

i know this is well known to most of the people who live on the west side of
the atlantic, but having to pay per minute for local phone calls is kind of
outrageous these days..

andrey

--
wasting valuable space on /n/dump since 06/2000 :)

@ 2001-04-26 18:33 ` William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-04-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-26 18:30 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-04-26 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010426170338.B178F19A3D@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>On the other hand, having 3 (?) different wireless systems and having
>to pay to receive calls is pretty outrageous too.

Wow, only 3?  What scaling factor did you use?  :-)  Or did you
mean personally?  With IS-54 NA-TDMA like for AT&T wireless, IS-95
CDMA like for SprintPCS (when using the PCS band, but other carriers
use the cellular band), NAMPS, and NA GSM (but not using those
European frequencies!), IS-136, plus the RF bands used for things
like wireless modems (hey, my metricom ricochet modem uses spectrum
that used to be devoted to medical [I suppose EMS] traffic) and
pagers and...

Well, we got a whole bunch of different wireless systems.

And yes, I agree that it's a bummer to have to pay for an incoming
phone call.  Especially when it's someone I don't want to talk to
(No, Cynthia is not here.  I don't know Cynthia.  I don't care to
keep getting called at 8am on a Saturday by someone in Brooklyn
looking for this Cynthia who I do not know.  I care even less to
pay for the priviledge of being woken up to explain that I don't
know Cynthia.  Kinda like the guy who was banging on my door the
other night at 5:30 looking for Allison.  I don't know Allison
either.  Maybe she's out with Cynthia; try looking in Brooklyn.)

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 18:02     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-26 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <gwyn@arl.army.mil>
> Some of the undercapitalized ones such as Northpoint have
> gone bankrupt, and others have been acquired by larger
> corporations (what else is new).

my ADSL idiots are linked to my cable tv provider.  the coax
has a splitter; one to the digital cable decoder and the other
to the motorola (wavesurf?) cable modem.

the lowest tarif by phone in paris is 15 FF/hr.  the ADSL idiots
charge ~400 FF/month.  do the math:

    512/126 kbit @ 400 FF/month vs 56 kbit @ 20h * 15 FF/hr

    $US 1 = ~7 FF

you wind up with a 1000 FF phone bill real quick for a lousy
56 kbit access.  so i'll pay the 400 FF for the ADSL 24h/day
access.  only problem is that they don't know how to build
networks.

* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-26 17:03 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-04-26 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-26 16:54 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-26 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

same thing (except that i pay BT by the second, min 5 seconds).
i could have ADSL but that's Horrendously Expensive.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2194 bytes --]

To: cse.psu.edu!9fans
Subject: Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:33:02 +0000

@ 2001-04-26 16:31 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-26 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-04-26 16:06   ` Douglas A. Gwyn
From: Douglas A. Gwyn @ 2001-04-26 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Boyd Roberts wrote:
> i think the ADSL idiots have just realised they're in
> deep and serious and it's just gonna crash and burn.

Some of the undercapitalized ones such as Northpoint have
gone bankrupt, and others have been acquired by larger
corporations (what else is new).  I think one of the
problems is that tariffs in some localities are such
that one pays roughly double the rate (phone company
for the link, ISP for the service) as in some other

@ 2001-04-25  1:45 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-04-25  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

From: <nigel@9fs.org>
> Any recommendations for a stress-free existence?

don't use 'em.

> The plug on my 3c589 dongle looks like someone
> sat on it, and is not long for this world.

i got my replacement for my 3CCFE574BT today,
after a two month wait.  the design is different
and more robust, but it'll break sooner or later.

3com are in my 'book of bad people'.  boggs is
more my style.

if you have a lapdog go for a built in adapter
with and RJ-45 socket.  my new lapdop (another
goddamn vaio) has that.

not much point having it really when the ASDL idiots
take the ADSL net down when i wan't to use it, so it's
back to V.90 with another ISP.

i think the ADSL idiots have just realised they're in
deep and serious and it's just gonna crash and burn.

motto: always have two paths, but 3 is better.

--
Boyd Roberts                                          boyd@planete.net

  [trouble] seems to know pretty much where I am, most of the time.

    -- Riggs

* Re: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
@ 2001-04-24 13:47 ` Andrey A Mirtchovski
From: Andrey A Mirtchovski @ 2001-04-24 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

3com 3c905B was used in my plan9 machines (up until they took them away from
me to make them linux+pvm monkeys). have not had any problems with the
cards.

@ 2001-04-24  8:28 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-24  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i use Netgear FA410TX which is unfortunately an 8390 in disguise
but is 10/100 yet not cardbus.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1730 bytes --]

From: nigel@9fs.org
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] 10/100 pcmcia ethernet recommendation
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 07:21:46 0100