* [9fans] cpu/auth + fs setup question
@ 2001-04-25 14:02 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2001-04-25 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Maybe this has come up before, but I spend some time working
through the archive and could not find it.

I'm running a 'real' fileserver, and the cpu/auth server boots
its fs from it. It seems to work OK, but...
now I add a new user, so I also have to run auth/changeuser
(first time since using fs).
auth/changeuser complains that it cannot write /adm/keys.who
I can understand that, because the /adm/*key* are on the fs,
and have protection    --rw-rw-r-- M 23 adm adm
I did not make bootes member of group adm.
I just copied the files from the standalone cpu/auth server
when I started to boot from the fs.

Is there some magic that should allow bootes on the auth server
to change those files, is there some other problem, should I just
fix the problem by one (if so: which one) of the following, or is
there another 'fix'?
 - adding bootes to group adm, or
 - making bootes own the /adm/*key* files

When I boot the cpu/auth server, it compains something about
not being able to connect to AS, using own key - but this I
can understand (auth server is booting and thus not up yet).

Feeling silly,
Axel.

* Re: [9fans] cpu/auth + fs setup question
@ 2001-04-25 15:23 ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2001-04-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> my /adm/users entry for adm is
>
> 	-1:adm:adm:bootes

This solved the problem. Thanks! (also to Jean!)
solutui
Probably I lost the bootes group member (if I had it before) when I started
using the /amd/users file created via fs(8) 'users default'.

> >>I can understand that, because the /adm/*key* are on the fs,
> >>and have protection    --rw-rw-r-- M 23 adm adm
>
> note that /adm/key and /adm/netkey files should have mode 660
> otherwise your keys are public.

Thanks!

> >>When I boot the cpu/auth server, it compains something about
> >>not being able to connect to AS, using own key - but this I
> >>can understand (auth server is booting and thus not up yet).
>
> that's fine if it's the auth server itself booting.
> chicken and omelette, that sort of thing

indeed.

Thanks again,

@ 2001-04-25 14:59 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-04-25 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)