* [9fans] Awk or Limbo ?
@ 2001-04-26 23:12 William Staniewicz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-04-26 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have been following the discussion that has
been taking place but have to admit to not
knowing much about programming and the options
that are available.

What appears to be true is that C++ is not well
received here. That comes a bit of a surprise
because when I do wander through a bookstore in
the computer section C is there in large quantity.

Some people mention Limbo and AWK. Which is used
daily by the Plan9'rs?

		-Bill

* Re: [9fans] Awk or Limbo ?
@ 2001-04-26 23:46 geoff.9fans
From: geoff.9fans @ 2001-04-26 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Popularity and quality are not related.  (A more pessimistic view is
that they are related, but inversely.  The current state of operating
systems, languages and software generally tends to support that view.)

* Re: [9fans] Awk or Limbo ?
@ 2001-04-27  2:37 geoff.9fans
From: geoff.9fans @ 2001-04-27  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Limbo programs do seem to be more robust against buffer overflows,
deliberate or accidental, but I believe that the fundamental problem
is this: to be a good programmer, you have to be willing to cope with
all the details inherent in programming, and apparently most of the
population don't have the personality traits (patience, attention to
detail, etc.)  to do it (though that doesn't stop them trying).  One
of the advantages of writing substantial quantities of
assembly-language code is that everything else seems so much easier,
since there is so much less detail to deal with.  Limbo removes still
more fiddly details of memory allocation.  I think some of the
advantages of automatic string allocation can be had using Plan 9's
libString, which has existed for years inside upas.

But there's really no excuse for using gets() nor overrunning static
buffers.  If there's isn't a suitable routine around for the task at
hand, you write one.  It's amazing to me that as Sendmail, Inc. stamp
out one buffer overrun, another pops up, and it's 18 years later.
It's like a Conservation of Overruns.  These problems could have been
found and fixed in a pass over the code with a small string library
(such as the one we used in C News).  But the kids would rather write
yet another sorely-needed Linux desktop manager than tackle real
problems.  Rotten kids...

Barry Shein commented that `X was written by seventeen-year-olds who
can't program sitting down' (I hope I haven't misquoted him) and it
shows.  There's a little known program in the Plan 9 distribution,
Brenda Baker's dup(1), that one can run over the source of the latest
whiz-bang program and get a sense for how much code was cut-and-pasted
instead of converted into proper functions, presumably by the same
sort of kids with bladders full of Jolt cola.  Incidentally, the
distributed /rc/bin/dup didn't work when I last looked; here's a fixed
one:

#!/bin/rc
path=(/$cputype/bin/aux $path)
pdup $* | dupstat

See http://www.collyer.net/~geoff/cant.ps (when our DSL line is up)
for a longer, somewhat dated rant.

* Re: [9fans] Awk or Limbo ?
@ 2001-04-27  4:07 geoff.9fans
From: geoff.9fans @ 2001-04-27  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ observes that dup hasn't been distributed
with Plan 9 and indeed I don't see it in my 2nd
nor 3rd edition manuals.  I can't find it in netlib
either and google only finds the papers and references
thereto.  My senility must be accelerating; sorry
about that.

* Re: [9fans] Awk or Limbo ?
@ 2001-04-27 19:09 geoff.9fans
From: geoff.9fans @ 2001-04-27 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For writing some applications, limbo is quite pleasant.  I've written
concurrent ("multithreaded") programs in limbo and felt comfortable
doing so, whereas using the Unix LWP (light-weight process) libraries
(or POSIX threads) directly has always seemed hazardous.  Unix LWPs
are fighting Unix, specifically the libraries, that were designed
assuming one process (or "thread") per address space.  This is one
reason (aside from unportability across Unixes and dubious gains) that
we let Rich Salz go off and do INN; I had no desire to deal with that
mess, especially the mess 10 years ago.

However, limbo is implemented as a part of Inferno and the two are
somewhat intertwined, so running limbo programs on Plan 9 is really
running limbo programs in Inferno on Plan 9, and Inferno's interface
as a command (emu) to the surrounding Plan 9 isn't seemless, though
it's getting better.  Thus forsyth's recent comments about a native
implementation of limbo on Plan9, which would make it more appealing
for some jobs.

libthread attempts to capture some of the benefits of limbo (notably
communication) in C, but I'd rather have one kind of process (not
processes and threads) and it feels a little like LWP libraries to me,
plus you don't get the concise limbo communication syntax and
automatic memory (de)allocation.

* Re: [9fans] Awk or Limbo ?
@ 2001-05-01  2:25 okamoto
From: okamoto @ 2001-05-01  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>it's getting better.  Thus forsyth's recent comments about a native
>implementation of limbo on Plan9, which would make it more appealing
>for some jobs.

Isn't this a new version of Alef?   Yes, it apeals us very strongly.
I thought this wasn't possible because of some "political/economic"
reasons, but not of research...  I'm not blaming inferno though.

Kenji

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2794 bytes --]