From: Dan Cross <cross@math.psu.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: Thinknic and plan9
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:56:06 -0400	[thread overview]

In article <20010531171819.07444199C0@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>Unsupported by current software can be fixed.

Yes.

>Inadequate hardware that's fixed (the video hardware) can't.

The Linux people don't seem to be having a problem using the inadequate
video hardware at high resolution and with many colors.

(Of course, they probably have 80 billion lines of code to support it,
but that's another matter all together.)

>Oracle have been trying to market this box under various
>guises for something like 5 years, they should give up.

Yeah, so should those pesky timesharing people.  Batch mode computing
is the only thing which is efficient enough to make effective use of
all computers, which are big, expensive centralized things with
multi-million dollar pricetags.  Oh!  Wait a minute....wrong century.
:-)

The reason I think Oracle hasn't been very successful to date is simply
marketing; particularly the Microsoft fueled belief on the part of
consumers that they ``need'' a PC.  They don't.  My Mom certainly
doesn't, and she's the type of user this thing is targetted to.

	- Dan ``It's the Marketing, Stupid!'' C.