From: presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] old NEC Versa S/50 useful?
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 10:57:17 -0400	[thread overview]

That's unfair and not even true.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2297 bytes --]

From: Laura Creighton <lac@cd.chalmers.se>
To: sjking@bconnex.net
Cc: lac@cd.chalmers.se, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:51:06 +0200 (MET DST)

The largest problem we have in popularising Plan 9 is finding old
enough hardware to run it on because it will not run on any of the
new stuff.  The reason that we have this problem is because the
people in 1127 are so completely satisfied with their ability to
do major amounts of real work with the anceint hardware they have
got that they couldn't be bothered to go to the computer hardware
store and buy something made in the past decade, _even though they
are aware that people who want to run plan 9 cannot now because
they can't find old enough hardware_.  (Also because people like me
haven't made a VM ware port yet because we are too damn busy with
the rest of our lives, as usual.)  I'd say _speed_ is not going to
be a problem for you.

While I am here.  Thank you ever so much for so many hours of enjoyment.

Laura