* [9fans] Realtek Ethernet Adapter
@ 2001-06-16  9:54 William Staniewicz
From: William Staniewicz @ 2001-06-16  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am aware of the hardware specifications page for
Plan9, however, I bought an unsupported, cheap Realtek
chip based ethernet adapter. Will it work with Plan9 without
any special modifications?

I am not using it right now as I am awaiting the
installation of my ADSL service (next week), so
there is now way to test it. It does install with
linux 2.2 though.

The chip is the RTL8139C. Here is a link to a
page with the specs:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/htm/products/cn/rtl8139c.htm

--
Bill                             William Staniewicz
                                 Amsterdam, NL

* Re: [9fans] Realtek Ethernet Adapter
@ 2001-06-16 15:23 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-06-16 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 8th in 9fans I wrote:
>On Tue May  8 04:37:27 EDT 2001, arnold@skeeve.com wrote:
>> The on-board ethernet chip is a Realtek 8319; is that supported?  If not,
>> I have 3com PCMCIA card that ought to work, but it'd be nice to use the one
>> that's on board.
>
>Do you mean the Realtek RTL8139? If so, there is no driver but I did start
>to write one a while ago. However, the datasheet and programming guide are a bit
>of a joke and I looked at both the Linux and FreeBSD drivers only to find they
>both had lots of comments and workarounds for chip bugs; the disturbing thing
>was that the bug sets handled by the two drivers didn't seem to intersect much.

That still stands as far as I know. I've given my prototype driver to a couple
of people who expressed interest in getting it working but haven't had any feedback.
It's not much of a driver but at least would save you typing in all the enums if
you were interested; I have a suitable card for testing against somewhere.

--jim