From: Mike Haertel <mike@ducky.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] another compiler bug (another try to send this coherently)
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 12:21:07 -0700	[thread overview]

>> Whatever it prints, it should print the same number twice,
>> not two different values.
>
>obviously the unsigned char is _not_ being promoted to signed int.
>
>just _what_ are you trying to do?

The unsigned char is _supposed_ to be promoted to signed int.

I'm not actually trying to do anything that depends on this.
I have been writing some high-performance AES (Rijndael) encryption
routines lately.  I decided the portability problems associated
with relying on compilers getting the ANSI C rules exactly right
were too much of a headache, so I went through the code to put in
explicit casts anywhere implicit conversions would otherwise occur,
to prevent broken compilers (like 8c) from doing the Wrong Thing.

I was reviewing my code, with the help of "8c -t" to print the
parse trees and make sure there were no implicit promotions left,
when I stumbled across a few more I had overlooked, and noticed
moreover that 8c was inserting "CAST UINT" in places where ANSI
says it should have inserted "CAST INT".  So I reported it as a bug.

It wasn't causing me any trouble, but I think these things should
be fixed whenever you find them.  Somewhere down the road it'll
save some poor sot from hours of head scratching when attempting
import something with pcc.