From: "Jesus A. Mora" <jmora@hvm.sas.junta-andalucia.es>
To: Quinn Dunkan <quinn@yak.ugcs.caltech.edu>
Cc: "9 fans (lista correo)" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>, <boyd@fr.inter.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Foreign keyboard layout
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 09:43:15 +0200	[thread overview]

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Quinn Dunkan wrote:

> There's a program that provides its own /dev/cons that translates from the old
> /dev/cons and provides /dev/kbd to configure the translation (you write
> old_unicode new_unicode pairs to it).  I use it to get a dvorak layout.  It
> was posted to the list a while back--take a look at the archives.  I believe
> it was called kbd.c or something.  Unfortunately I managed to lose my copy of
> the src, and I can't find it in the archives or the wiki.
>
> It doesn't work perfectly, but it's useful and small and doesn't require
> messing with the kernel.

The link in Charles Forsyth's home page apparently leads you to
nowhere. Searching in the web, I've managed to find it anywhere (hope this
is the stuff you're talking about). Enclosed you'll find a copy of
kbd.tgz, if you are interested in it.

Also, looking back in the 9fans archive, I've realized this is a recurrent
topic. One of the messages refers to another possible solution,
contributed by Dave Presotto. You'll find it attached as kbdmap.c.gz, for
the sake of completion.

I don't know yet whether they work as expected, but will try to take a
look at them and get them working this weekend. Being a newcomer to Plan
9, this may be a pretty challenging task for me, but I think it worths to
make an effort.

Many thanks to both Boyd and Quinn, and to all the fellows in 9fans, for
your advice and your patience.

JAMM