From: Digby Tarvin <digbyt@acm.org>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Bitsy hardware docs.
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 02:32:38 +0100	[thread overview]

Pjotr Kourzanov:

>   So, there is Plan9 port for StrongARM? I'm surprised...

The 3rd edition docs lists ARM7500FE and Strongarm SA1 core machines
amoungst those supported by the compiler, so I guess it was used on
other ARM based machines before the iPAQ.

An Inferno port also seems to be available
> > Can anyone give me some pointers on where to look for a nice
> > system programmers overview of the beast?
> >

>     Try www.handhelds.org, they have lotsa links and even 3 Linux
> distributions for that animal :-)

Thanks. That was indeed a useful site.

An Inferno port also seems to be available, which is encouraging both
because I can run most interesting OSs on the machine, and also because
it implies some pretty smart people have decided the hardware is interesting
enough to have put in the effort to port to it.

I certainly wasn't excited by what the machine seemed to have to offer
as a WinCE handheld, and doubt I would have considered it were it not
for the 3rd party OSs available. Makes me wonder how much of the price
I paid went to Microsoft for software I will never use :-/

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org