* Re: [9fans] Boot floppy fails
@ 2001-09-23 14:59 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-09-23 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Can you give more details on the problem hardware, e.g. what discs
there are?

Do you have a USB floppy?

* Re: [9fans] Boot floppy fails
@ 2001-09-23 17:42 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-09-23 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Your original message said

	On booting from floppy I get:

	PBS...
	apm ax.................
	using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
	dev A0............
	dev B0............
	dev A0...............
	dev B0................

	then nothing else.

so you have 4 devices on the ATA controllers, I'm guessing
2 hard discs, a CD-ROM and something else. What?

Also, which brand of SCSI controller?

On Sun Sep 23 12:31:25 EDT 2001, njh@bandsman.co.uk wrote:
> > Can you give more details on the problem hardware, e.g. what discs
> > there are?
>
> 2 IDE discs. There is also a SCSI controller, but there are no hard discs on
> it.
>
> > Do you have a USB floppy?
>
> No.
>
> -Nigel
>
> --
> Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
> Owner of the brass band group of the Internet.
> ICQ#20252325 http://www.bandsman.co.uk/music.htm

* Re: [9fans] Boot floppy fails
       [not found] <20010923160203.5F03019A48@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2001-09-23 16:31 ` Nigel Horne
From: Nigel Horne @ 2001-09-23 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Can you give more details on the problem hardware, e.g. what discs
> there are?

2 IDE discs. There is also a SCSI controller, but there are no hard discs on
it.

> Do you have a USB floppy?

No.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
Owner of the brass band group of the Internet.
ICQ#20252325 http://www.bandsman.co.uk/music.htm

* [9fans] Boot floppy fails
       [not found] <20010922160202.E808419A3C@mail.cse.psu.edu>
@ 2001-09-23 12:08 ` Nigel Horne
From: Nigel Horne @ 2001-09-23 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've got my hands on an old HP machine. When I plug in the plan 9
boot floppy on that machine it correctly gives me the "boot from" prompt.

I wonder, does that point to plan 9 not supporting more modern hardware
since as I reported it fails on my newer (year old) machine.

-Nigel

--
njh@bandsman.co.uk http://www.bandsman.co.uk/music.htm