* re: [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
@ 2001-09-25 17:47 presotto
From: presotto @ 2001-09-25 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Swapping works so badly in our system that its hardly
worth turning on at all.  Definitely don't waste the
space.

* Re: [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
@ 2001-09-26 14:22 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2001-09-26 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In article <20010925174747.527EF19A05@mail.cse.psu.edu> you write:
>Swapping works so badly in our system that its hardly
>worth turning on at all.  Definitely don't waste the
>space.

Yeah, but sometimes, when recompiling the system on my diskless CPU
server with half a gig of RAM and no swap, I get an out of memory
error linking ghostscript and the build stops.  If I restart it on
my laptop, which has 128 megs of RAM and however much swap space, it
works fine.  Kind of a bummer.

But definately don't waste dump space for swap....

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
@ 2001-09-28  3:21 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-09-28  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

yes i think i will set up the swap on a separate
filesystem when i build my new filesever. thanks guys

--sam

* Re: [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
@ 2001-09-25 17:34 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-09-25 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

that's certainly what i do

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2149 bytes --]

From: Sam Ducksworth <sam@ducksworth.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 11:18:17 -0500 (CDT)

i am setting up multiple diskless cpu/auth servers and have a
question about swap files. is it proper to create a small filesystem
on the file server and allocate swap files from that location
or should i just create them off of "main" ?

i personally think that they should be placed on a seperate filesystem
that is not dumped. i just do not see the value in wasting dump space
on backups of swap files.

--sam

* Re: [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
@ 2001-09-25 16:31 anothy
From: anothy @ 2001-09-25 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

seperate (un-dumped) file system, definatly.
but then, with ram as cheap as it is, and Plan
9 as efficient as it is, i don't think i've swapped
in many months.
-α.

* [9fans] swap files for diskless cpu/auth servers
@ 2001-09-25 16:18 Sam Ducksworth