* Re: [9fans] iPAC networking
@ 2001-09-28 15:55 dpx
From: dpx @ 2001-09-28 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>Lucent Orinoco (or whatever they are now) 11m/bit wireless cards (wavelan) are
>supported.  it should not be a huge piece of work to extend that to one or
>more of the pcmcia wired ethernets.  you'll probably need to add
>the dynamic configuration entry for it to be usable.

I made some quick changes to get the linksys PCM100 v2 pcmcia network
card to work in the bitsy a while back. It needs more work, but what
i have is at:

http://www.acl.lanl.gov/plan9/bitsy/ec2t/index.html

-dp

* [9fans] rio preferences
@ 2001-09-28 23:27 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-09-28 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm here working late and I'm really quite stoned and I'm not as dextrous as
normal and consequently I keep missing the window border.

the rio man page doesn't describe any ways of changing the appearance
of the windows - border size, colours etc.

I remember trying to figure out how to change the background colour in
thr rio source code but looked a bit hairy to start messing about with
but I did find the definition of the colour grey as bitmap image (iirc
and I'm not looking now to find out :)

I'm afraid I'm one for wallpapers. Anybody considered adding such
features as configurable at runtime rather than compile time?

I tried jpg & page but you can't click on them for new windows etc.

unless there's some redirection trickery

two wrongs etc.

* Re: [9fans] rio preferences
@ 2001-09-28 23:31   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-09-28 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I'm here working late and I'm really quite stoned and I'm not as dextrous as
> normal and consequently I keep missing the window border.

i prefer resize.  i can't stand:

    pull[ing] on the edge of a transparent object

        -- mvs

* Re: [9fans] rio preferences
@ 2001-10-01  9:56   ` Pjotr Kourzanov
From: Pjotr Kourzanov @ 2001-10-01  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

"Matt" <matt@proweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm here working late and I'm really quite stoned and I'm not as dextrous
as
> normal and consequently I keep missing the window border.

Maybe that is not an optimal condition to work with Plan9;-)

* Re: [9fans] rio preferences
@ 2001-10-01 10:46     ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-01 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Maybe that is not an optimal condition to work with Plan9;-)

red wine helps.

* Re: [9fans] iPAC networking
@ 2001-09-28 14:04 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2001-09-28 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Lucent Orinoco (or whatever they are now) 11m/bit wireless cards (wavelan) are
supported.  it should not be a huge piece of work to extend that to one or
more of the pcmcia wired ethernets.  you'll probably need to add
the dynamic configuration entry for it to be usable.

USB ethernet is unlikely to be possible because the SA11x0
provides device-end USB not host mode.  i'd expect USB
ethernet gadgets to be devices not hosts.  there is a host USB mode in
in the SA1111 auxiliary chip but since the chip isn't completely wired up
it probably isn't usable.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3407 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] iPAC networking
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:59:50 +0100 (GMT/BST)

Hi all,

Just looking at gathering together all the bits necessary to load
Plan9 onto my iPAQ, and would like to know what accessories are
supported by the port so far.

In particular, given that the LAN is so central to Plan9, what supported
options currently exist for connecting to a network?

I guess there is always a serial ppp connection, but I would like to be
able to plug in to an existing ethernet network without relying on special
software on some other host. Are any PCMCIA cards supported?
A USB ethernet interface would be nice, as it would leave the expansion
free for disk storage, but I am guessing that would be a little ambitious
at this stage.

The sort of thing I would like to be able to do is pull an iPAQ out
of my pocket, plug into somebody else's LAN (after updating the IP
addresses using the built in display) and then boot Plan9.
Then walk over to a random Unix or Windows PC and fire up a vnc
viewer to get a familair development environment with a more comfortable
sized keyboard and screen..

Any suggestions?

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              digbyt@acm.org
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk

* Re: [9fans] iPAC networking
@ 2001-09-28 13:31 Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2001-09-28 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

wavelan cards work fine using the pcmcia slot.
I don't know of any other ethernet card, although it should be easy
to make the pc driver work on the bitsy (given both are pcmcia).

* [9fans] iPAC networking
@ 2001-09-28 12:59 ` Digby Tarvin