From: Eric Grosse <ehg@research.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] 'stacking' user-level fileservers to add 'attributes'?
Date: Tue,  2 Oct 2001 20:32:26 -0400	[thread overview]

> > Depend has been around for years;  see /sys/src/cmd/aux/depend.c
> > in the distribution.
> so it has! (it must have been one of the ealier alef programs?)
> interesting: though it's not immediately obvious what the various "F",
> "D" and "R" options in the .depend file do...

This seemed too parochial to be worth documenting in man pages.  It was
something I wrote back when netlib was on Unix as an email server only.
The ftp, tar-on-the-fly, 9P version was something Presotto and I did later.

For the curious, a paragraph
	F rst.f
	D rst_
	R imtql1_
	R imtql2_
in /netlib/eispack/.depend means that file eispack/rst.f defines external
symbol rst_ and that module requests external symbols imtql1_ and imtql2_.
This file is, naturally, created by a sed script applied to linker maps
when compiling the source.  It's just an automated and compact way to let
people extract useful subsets of large libraries, without hassle to either
the user or the administrator.  Sorry to drift off-topic.

Eric

[Also, sorry to describe the imaps server just now when the query was
about the client.  My face is an appropriate shade of red.]