* Re: [9fans] Once again: running Plan 9 under VMWare, Bochs, Plex86 etc.
@ 2001-10-03 15:28 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-03 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have the ethernet and the vga working under VMware, but
unfortunately VMware doesn't always provide a virtual hardware
cursor.  Since Plan 9 doesn't have software cursor code, we're
sort of stuck in that case.  Since this observation is based on a
sample of size one, I don't really know if VMware ever
provides a virtual hardware cursor.  I haven't done VGA
hardware acceleration yet either, which should help a lot
with the perceived speed, but that looks easy.

It is my current intention that the still-far-off next
release will have full VMware support, which is to say that
if nothing else happens first, the prospect of doing a new release
will be enough of a kick for me to write the missing bits of code.

When I did the VMware support, I changed aux/vga to
recognize cards based on PCI device identifiers (in addition
to the old BIOS-string method).  This should help quite a
bit with not having to edit vgadb for supported cards.

If people who already have the system installed would
like to play with running a CPU server under VMware, I will
make the ethernet driver available.  At least then you
could drawterm into your virtual CPU server.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Once again: running Plan 9 under VMWare, Bochs, Plex86 etc.
@ 2001-10-03 14:27     ` Vincent van Gelderen
From: Vincent van Gelderen @ 2001-10-03 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wednesday, October 03, 2001, 12:35:24 PM, you wrote:
>>         I found the installation under Virtual PC relatively
>>         painless. Minuses: it took long to install, and the
>>         ethernet doesn't work.

BR> long?  i installed '2000 for mate off cd.  it took 3 _hours_;
BR> all that time was spent copying stuff off the cd.

BR> long?  i was on hold, but with rio and sam i could continue
BR> to work with _just_ the mouse.

    p9 took more than 4 hours to install under VPC. Iirc a
    normal install took 30-40 minutes (on the same hardware),
    so long seems a good word to use.

--
Best regards,
 Vincent                            mailto:v-i-n-z@zonnet.nl

* Re: [9fans] Once again: running Plan 9 under VMWare, Bochs, Plex86 etc.
@ 2001-10-03 10:35   ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2001-10-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2001-10-03  9:45 ` Vincent van Gelderen