From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] ppp connection
Date: Fri,  5 Oct 2001 12:50:01 +0200	[thread overview]

I also had problems (which I reported here; I posted a fix
that got it working for me at Sat, 05 May 2001 23:01:59 +0200).

I used the same approach of making the connection 'by hand'.
Ppp already supports PAP.
I think you can get debugging output by giving ip/ppp a -d flag.
There is also stuff logged via syslog to /sys/log/ppp.

In my case, the problem seemed to be that the ppp daemon at the
other side did not get a HDLC frame character at the start of
the frames, which caused the framing to break, with the result
that options negotiation failed a few times after which the remote
side gave up. It did not get far enough to use the authenication
info. (I came to this conclusion by looking at the bytes sent ove
 the line by a succesfull ppp connection under linux).

Looking at the source code gave me the (wrong?) idea that a HDLC
frame character is only appended at the end of the frames send.
I got it working for me by changing /sys/src/cmd/ip/ppp/ppp.c:523
I added the following two-lines indicated by 'ADDED AFEB' below.
Please be aware that this a 'quick' hack to get it working;
it would be nice to have it approved (or an alternative suggested)
by someone more knowledgable.

	} else {
		/* escape and checksum the body */
		fcs = PPP_initfcs;
		to = buf->rptr;
		/* add frame marker */             /* ADDED AFEB */
		*to++ = HDLC_frame;                /* ADDED AFEB */
		for(bp = b; bp; bp = bp->next){

Axel.