* Re: [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 13:23 jmk
From: jmk @ 2001-10-05 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

What's the target audience for a device like that?

* Re: [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 13:59 ` Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-10-05 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i have no idea. and i doubt they know either.
probably one of those "build it and they will come" sort
of things.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001 jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> What's the target audience for a device like that?

--sam

* Re: [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 14:07   ` Laura Creighton
From: Laura Creighton @ 2001-10-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: lac

With any luck they can use it to replace the terminal at my Bank to
do on-line banking with.
Laura

* Re: [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 14:03   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2001-10-05 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ducksworth

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Matt wrote:

> SD> hey guys take a look at this new webpad from FIC.
> SD> this would make a great terminal machine.
>
> SD> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2255681925.html
>
> touch screen chording is a bit tricky :)

3 mouse buttons vs 10 fingers? just let me grow longer nails and i'll show
you who wins ;)

* Re: [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 13:37       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-10-05 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, Oct 05, 2001 at 02:27:01PM +0100, Matt wrote:

> i've been thinking about getting a kb with a trackball in it and then
> adding 3 extra buttons somewhere so i can move the ball with one hand
> and chord with the other

I have a Chicony with a small trackball (a bit of an issue as far
as resolution goes) that has three buttons on the near edge, below
the _left_ Ctrl and Alt keys.  The ball replaces (sadly) the inverted
"T" arrow keys, which are normally more useful than the "edit" keys
in my opinion, if not necessarily in Plan 9 users'.

I couldn't use it under Plan 9 in the days when I understood the
mouse protocol less than I do today.  I since collected seven or
eight three-button logitechs (the rectangular ones) and haven't
needed to try the keyboard out.

Also, the keyboard is a little flimsy: the ball cover lost one of
its retaining pins very early in my experiments.  I don't have a
model number handy, but if anyone wants it, I can look it up week
after next when I return to my office.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 12:22 ` Matt
From: Matt @ 2001-10-05 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam Ducksworth

SD> hey guys take a look at this new webpad from FIC.
SD> this would make a great terminal machine.

SD> http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT2255681925.html

touch screen chording is a bit tricky :)

* [9fans] Aquapad ?
@ 2001-10-05 12:03 Sam Ducksworth
From: Sam Ducksworth @ 2001-10-05 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans