* Re: [9fans] Mach64 Support
@ 2001-10-07 17:02 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2001-10-07 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think we don't support the Mach64 GX,
one of the older Mach 64s.  The driver is telling
you it doesn't see the expected structures while
grubbing around in the BIOS, which I believe is
proof.

Sorry, I don't think there's much we can do.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Mach64 Support - similar problem with ATI Xpert@Play
@ 2001-10-11  9:11 ` Agnelo de la Crotche
From: Agnelo de la Crotche @ 2001-10-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote in

> I think we don't support the Mach64 GX,
> one of the older Mach 64s.  The driver is telling
> you it doesn't see the expected structures while
> grubbing around in the BIOS, which I believe is
> proof.
>
> Sorry, I don't think there's much we can do.
>
> Russ

I have a quite similar problem with my ATI Xpert@Play. Well , I know, I
already asked you about one year ago. But I never give up.

The ATI Xpert@Play is correctly identified. I guess it should have the same
BIOS string as the ATI Xpert@Work.
I got a step further in the installation. RIO could start but doesn't look
very nice. The screen is overlapped like a broken TV. I can see enough to
install the operating system  but not to play very long with it.

Is there no solution at this point ? Or would some miraculous entry in the
vgadb correct the problem by setting the right clock ? Trying different
screen resolutions only make it worse.

Agnelo

* Re: [9fans] Mach64 Support - similar problem with ATI Xpert@Play
@ 2001-10-11  9:35   ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2001-10-11  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 09:11:15AM +0000, Agnelo de la Crotche wrote:

> The ATI Xpert@Play is correctly identified. I guess it should have the same
> BIOS string as the ATI Xpert@Work.
> I got a step further in the installation. RIO could start but doesn't look
> very nice. The screen is overlapped like a broken TV. I can see enough to
> install the operating system  but not to play very long with it.

That resembles a description of my badly configured S3 Trio 64V+.
Try adding linear = 1 by copying it from another entry to the one
you're using.  Whatever it may mean, it worked for me and I'm sure
it's worth the test.

For the Bell Labs people, the entry I thought matched my S3 Trio
64V+ has a comment by Russ Cox about it not working, with two dates.

The entry immediately above it is identical except for the "linear
= 1" qualifier which seems to make the world of difference.  Perhaps
there should only be one (the first) of these?

++L