* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/Inferno on Pogo, anyone?
@ 2001-11-12 11:32 nigel
From: nigel @ 2001-11-12 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thin client. What operating system runs on their servers is probably more
interesting. Strange, I can't imagine thin client supporting a very large
consumer base; the numbers don't work out.

Perhaps they're more interested in selling the content than the device.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1991 bytes --]

From: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Cc: John Murdie <john@cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject: [9fans] Plan 9/Inferno on Pogo, anyone?
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 11:22:35 +0000 (GMT)

http://www.pogo-tech.com/

Today's UK `IT Week' says that this 75MHz ARM7-based colour display PDA
'phone (it looks more PDA than 'phone) will be on retail sale in the UK
in January priced at £299 plus £8-£10 a month for an Internet
connection. (No mention of how much the 'phone contract will cost.)

Hmm, for all I know, it may be Inferno-based already, but I've seen no
mention of that.

--

John A. Murdie
Experimental Officer (Software)

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9/Inferno on Pogo, anyone?
@ 2001-11-12 11:41 ` Borja Marcos
From: Borja Marcos @ 2001-11-12 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Monday 12 November 2001 12:32, you wrote:
> Thin client. What operating system runs on their servers is probably more
> interesting. Strange, I can't imagine thin client supporting a very large
> consumer base; the numbers don't work out.

	Not with the typical phone network. However, recently deployed networks are
based on small nodes serving a bunch of buildings, all linked with a SDH
network. For example, Euskaltel, a new telehpone operator here, is installing
one of such nodes under my flat.

	Such nodes would serve a reduced number of users (compared to the typical
phone switch) and I think it would be possible to deploy thin clients in such
newtorks, using cable modems or xDSL.

	In fact, when Inferno was released I thought I would see a phone company
offering thin clients for simple computing tasks, Internet access, video on
demand (or near video on demand), etc. I think this was the idea of the
original Inferno developers.

	At least in Spain, where telephone network operation is no longer a monopoly
(well, in fact it is still a de-facto monopoly) new networks are being
deployed in that way. Forget the huge central offices with huge phone
switches serving 100,000 lines and local loops in the range of 1 - 2 Km.

	Borja.

* [9fans] Plan 9/Inferno on Pogo, anyone?
@ 2001-11-12 11:22 ` John Murdie