From: William Josephson <jkw@eecs.harvard.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 User
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 16:35:39 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, Dec 18, 2001 at 04:26:17PM -0500, David Simmons wrote:

> 1).  Can one machine (possibly a laptop) be all of the sub-componets of a
> Plan9 layout (ie. the CPU Server and File Server and User Terminal)?  Want
> to do some testing while on the road and need to put all on one machine -
> Ok, I know that breaks the premise that Plan9 is a networked OS - just need
> for concept testing.

Yes; this is what kfs is for.

> 2).  Where can I find User type applications?  As one would expect, the
> majority of the apps available are geared toward software development and/or
> lab settings.  Is there a base OS that programs can be easily ported from -
> the docs say it's easy - but on a User level, can I download the source for
> say, Samba, and have it work?  I've seen the various software collections,
> but need to find things even as simple as a Tetris clone...I'm sure SOMEONE
> has gone down this path and not hand-coded everything?

Not really.  Plan 9 != Unix, although some pieces can be ported easily
enough using ape.  Samba in particular has no hope of working.  I did
do a SMB/CIFS client this summer using the new lib9p, but I don't
think it is regularly used or distributed yet.  There are still some
odds and ends left to be done (printing, mounting IPC$ instead of a
specific share, encrypting the link (MD5 challenge/response works),
and multithreading).

 -WJ