* Re: [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-22 23:03 anothy
From: anothy @ 2002-01-22 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm not sure if it's suitable for your needs, but i'm quite fond of
pq. there's a plan 9 distribution for it (a seperate package
available on the download page). it is based on plain text
files with delimiters, and can optionally work with indexes for
a substantial speed increase on very large data sets. even
without the indexes, it's reasonably snappy. the programs are
relatively small. a cousin of the version available for plan 9
runs (ran?) the corporate directories for Lucent and AT&T, and
a slightly more distant relative ran some public directory
service AT&T ran (can't remember the name). the protocol's
much simpler than SQL (for what _that's_ worth), and the
client doesn't need to know anything about the structure of
the tables or relations on the server.

a paper got written about it, but i'm not sure if it's available
to the non-Lucent world, or, if so, where.
ア

* Re: [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-23  6:15 ` cej
From: cej @ 2002-01-23  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 06:03:33PM -0500, anothy@cosym.net wrote:
> i'm not sure if it's suitable for your needs, but i'm quite fond of
> pq. there's a plan 9 distribution for it (a seperate package
> available on the download page). it is based on plain text
[snip]

PLEASE, HELP!!! Where is pq? I can't find it on the Plan9 download page.

TIA,
--pac

* Re: [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-23  6:33   ` skipt
From: skipt @ 2002-01-23  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, 9fans

Look at the bottom of the "Updates" page. Find the link to "updates" page from
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9dist

@ 2002-01-23  7:39     ` cej
From: cej @ 2002-01-23  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks!!! I'll give it a try. Thanks are due also to others who contributed!
--pac

@ 2002-01-23  9:40   ` William S.
From: William S. @ 2002-01-23  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Try the "Updates" section and scroll down to the bottom.

Bill
Amsterdam, NL

@ 2002-01-23  6:10 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-01-23  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

it's on the update page between TeX and the release 2 sun sources.

* Re: [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-22 17:44         ` Quinn Dunkan
From: Quinn Dunkan @ 2002-01-22 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> A file-system + simple tools RDB would be cool (as russ pointed
> out in a previous posting).

That's what NoSQL is.  It uses perl and sh, but there is (or was) a plan9 perl
port.  It's also mostly awk and the perl and sh bits could be rewritten
without too much work.

* Re: [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-22 17:22         ` Matt H
From: Matt H @ 2002-01-22 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 17:38:14 +0100
"Boyd Roberts" <boyd@strakt.com> wrote:

> cej@cejchan.gli.cas.cz wrote:
> > I would like to know your opinion(s) about how to implement a relational
> > database in Plan 9 (both client and server sides, if needed).

Python has an add-on called Gadfly which implements an "in memory" SQL server

There is a Python 1.5 port for plan9 somewhere

although the directory :
http://csociety-ftp.ecn.purdue.edu/pub/plan9/python

is curiously empty, but it's somewhere around

that could be a starting point if you need it *right now* !

* [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-22 16:42     ` cej
From: cej @ 2002-01-22 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all there,

I would like to know your opinion(s) about how to implement a relational
database in Plan 9 (both client and server sides, if needed).
Or, if anybody of you run a rel db completely under Plan 9, I'd be happy to
know.

Good night (here), or morning elsewhwere ;--)

cheers,
--pac

* Re: [9fans] Database implementation
@ 2002-01-22 16:38       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 2002-01-22 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

cej@cejchan.gli.cas.cz wrote:
> I would like to know your opinion(s) about how to implement a relational
> database in Plan 9 (both client and server sides, if needed).

I think you really need to narrow the problem down.  It's like o/s
stuff; a general purpose o/s is probably not what you want if you
need 'reponse time to an event to be such and such a time'.

Sometimes a grep and an awk will do :)