* [9fans] Plan9 on a 386/25
@ 2002-03-25 10:54 William S.
From: William S. @ 2002-03-25 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Any opinion how well Plan9 will install and run
on a 386/25. A friend gave me an old Compaq
Prolinea I would like to power up and network.

--
Bill
Amsterdam, NL

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 on a 386/25
@ 2002-03-25 14:05 forsyth
From: forsyth @ 2002-03-25 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i ran an early version of Plan 9 on a 4mbyte 386sx/16 as a terminal
to a larger cpu server and file server.   graphics memory was
tight, but it worked.  i ran sam locally.  at the time i could still use 1-bit per pixel screens,
though i've a feeling i switched to 8-bit later.   i tolerated it as my
main terminal at my old department for a surprisingly long time, but that was before
i got used to lots of acme frames.    with paging on, i even did file server
kernel compiles when i was still porting it.  it took ages to link (don't bother, use the cpu server).

all good fun, and character forming, but
that was years ago, and you won't find it satisfying now.
on the other hand, if it goes at all you might amaze your friends.
you'll certainly need cpu server and file server (or u9fs),
you'll need to install on another machine entirely.

in practice, if i were desperate to use it,
i'd probably use it for something simple,
such as a DHCP/TFTP/auth server.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1894 bytes --]

To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Plan9 on a 386/25