that's not what i meant. given the existence of the vnode switch, and the primitives contained therein, there is no big obstacle to writing a vfs/vnode implementation that converts the operations within its scope into messages on a file descriptor in much the same way as network file systems were implemented by 8th edition, or by me in my re-ported Unix kernels for the VAX and Sun-3, using a simpler file system switch. do just one of those and you can have as many things as you like outside the kernel. having said that, it's hard to know quite where to start with some of these new improved switches. whew! just look at the size of that one...