Thanks for the hint. However, unfortunately this is not the cause of my problems. After commenting out the upas/fs start line and starting and killing drawterm I still get 3 left-behind plumber processes, their status in order from oldest to newest: Sleep, Rendez and Read. Any magic that might help to diagnose what these processes are doing? I assume that the problem may be in the order in which I start things? I attach lib/profile, just in case the problem may be found there. In the 'cpu' case I moved the plumber invocation from where it is commented out to where it is now, without any effect. If I leave the plumber commented out completely, and start it from within a rio window, it dies nicely when I exit drawterm. Axel. > | When I 'exit' from drawterm (by killing/destroying its window -- > | there is no other way, right?) I leave 3 plumber and 2 fs processes > | behind that stay running on the cpu server, as user != bootes. > | > > hmm... purely by coincidence I happened to be looking at 'man mail' as > I was reading that. > > BUGS > > Biff and the -b option of fs perform the same function but > in slightly different environments. The duality is confus- > ing. The -b option exists because starting both fs and biff > in a Telnet session results in a number of processes that > don't die when the session is terminated; the plumber(4) is > held open by fs and biff still having it mounted, while fs > is held open by biff which is blocked waiting for plumbing > input.