* [9fans] how large is plan9 sys?
@ 2002-04-22  9:30 Quentin
From: Quentin @ 2002-04-22  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Who can tell me the size of plan9, I want to download the system, but
I am not sure about the size?
can anybody tell me where can I get the formal papers about plan9, not
including the papers in bell-labs?
thanks!

* Re: [9fans] An old laptop
@ 2002-04-22 16:31 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-22 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Do you mean "terminal server" or just "terminal"?
If the former (as in serial concentrator), you
might be able to pull something off, but it seems
unlikely.

If the latter, I think you're out of luck.  The
graphics for 640x480x8 are already 300 kilobytes,
probably 600 once you have some windows.
Mail, acme, plumber, fs, and rio are all at
least half a meg each.  And then the kernel and kfs
will want some memory too.  It might fit, but
you wouldn't be able to breathe.

The install certainly won't work on it -- the install
needs 32MB of memory.  The in-memory file system itself
is almost 4MB.

Doesn't seem worth it to me.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] An old laptop
@ 2002-04-23 11:02 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2002-04-23 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com:
> ... The
> graphics for 640x480x8 are already 300 kilobytes,
> probably 600 once you have some windows.

I ran (and did useful work on) 2nd edition Plan 9 on a 486 with 4MB.
Used 640x480x1 to save bitmap space (the screen was monochrome anyway),
but that option doesn't seem so well supported in 3rd edition.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] An old laptop
@ 2002-04-23 12:41 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-04-23 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am sure I remember Rob Pike giving a talk to AUUG in Sydney a long
> time ago, which included a demo of Plan9 running entirely from a floppy.
> I guess it has grown a little since then..

Much more likely, it was a system booted from a CD.  A variant of the
system fit on a floppy - and still does - but for demo purposes you always
wanted more on disk than could squeeze on a floppy.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] An old laptop
@ 2002-04-23 12:46 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-04-23 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

As I said, a small version fit on a floppy, and still does, but when I gave
talks I used a CD.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] An old laptop
@ 2002-04-23 12:47 bwc
From: bwc @ 2002-04-23 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

In 1993 Rob had a very small demo all on a floppy.  I took a friend to
a computer store and booted it on one of the display machines and
gave a short talk on Plan 9.

 Brantley

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1513 bytes --]

From: "rob pike, esq." <rob@plan9.bell-labs.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] An old laptop
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 08:41:55 -0400