* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29 10:45 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-04-29 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ed(1)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2453 bytes --]

From: didi <didi_terra@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] vmware video
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:40:40 GMT

zandy@cs.wisc.edu (vic) wrote in message news:<m3g01gcsr8.fsf@localhost.localdomain>...
> Congratulations on the new release.
>
> I'm having trouble with video under vmware 3.1.
> The image is distorted.
>
> Here's a picture since I'm not sure how to describe the
> problem.
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zandy/vmvga.jpg
>
> I'm running vmware on Linux.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

It's exactly the same problem I am having, with VMware 3.1 under linux
as well as windows 2000.
As user [none] I can log in and inspect some files, but I do not know
how to configure the video. $vgasize is set to 1024x768x16. Maybe
VMware does not support this mode, but where can I set a different
one?
I managed to disable hardware acceleration (I think) for glenda by
mv-ing /rc/bin/termrc.local to something else, but how can I edit a
file when I'm in text mode? acme needs a framebuffer.

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-05-07 12:00 ` Quentin Fennessy
From: Quentin Fennessy @ 2002-05-07 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Russ-
The new vmware image works much better with no video problems.
Thanks very much for your work. I'm looking forward to more
fun-with-chords in acme.

Quentin

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote in message news:<f80368f8aeb8960364b6b7126d0c0c6f@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> > I look forward to a fixed boot floppy image that I can use
> > for Plan 9 within vmware.
>
> The floppy and archive just posted last night (see Rob's message)
> include better support for VMware, meaning the same drivers
> currently on the mousetest floppy.  So you should be all set.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-05-03 15:01 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-05-03  8:45 ` Quentin Fennessy
From: Quentin Fennessy @ 2002-05-03  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi Russ-
I have had similar video problems with vmware 3.1 under Windows XP.
Looked the same as the url posted here a few days ago.

I just booted successfully in vmware using mousetest. White background,
mouse coordinates, black text. Perfect.

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote in message news:<f3e5d9cd495ae3f0e8505b005ab0449e@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> to those having trouble with vmware video settings:
>
> i fixed what i think was causing all the problems,
> but i'd like confirmation of that before i build
> a new install floppy.
>
> please download http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/mousetest.gz.
> it's a floppy image.  uncompress it and set up a new
> vm using it as the floppy.  hard disk settings are
> irrelevant.
>
> when you boot it, i hope you'll see a blank white screen.
> when you start moving the mouse you'll see a text description
> of the mouse coordinates and button status displayed in
> the upper left corner.
>
> if you find that it doesn't work in your favorite video
> mode, mail me and we'll try to figure out what's wrong.
>
> russ

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-30 16:35 ` FODEMESI Gergely
From: FODEMESI Gergely @ 2002-04-30 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I had similar video problems under vmware 3.1 (windows2000
professional) to the one already reported: windows and window
borders working, but text is garbled.

Now mousetest is working perfectly in 1024x768
with 16, 32 bit color depths (vgasize set to 1024x768x16,
1024x768x32 respectively).
Host running at 8 bit (vgasize=1024x768x8) gives:

aux/vga: couldn't translate color masks into
channelimageinit: can't bind /dev/draw: no frame
buffermousewatch 32: suicide: sys: trap: fault
read addr=0x8 pc=0x0000108a

 fgergo

Russ Cox <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> wrote:
> to those having trouble with vmware video settings:

> i fixed what i think was causing all the problems,
> but i'd like confirmation of that before i build
> a new install floppy.

> please download http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/mousetest.gz.
> it's a floppy image.  uncompress it and set up a new
> vm using it as the floppy.  hard disk settings are
> irrelevant.

> when you boot it, i hope you'll see a blank white screen.
> when you start moving the mouse you'll see a text description
> of the mouse coordinates and button status displayed in
> the upper left corner.

> if you find that it doesn't work in your favorite video
> mode, mail me and we'll try to figure out what's wrong.

> russ

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-30  5:18   ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2002-04-30  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 01:13:44PM -0700, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

> Arrrgh! I've tried
>
>   640x480x8
>   1280x1024x8  [no entry in /lib/vgadb]
>   1024x768x8
>
> and the value that was set in plan9.ini in vmware.tar.bz2 originally,
>
>   1024x768x16
>
> with my X server set to 16 bpp and 24 bpp and I still get the same
> display: windows/frames, pastel colors, but no text. My current X screen
> is 1600x1200x24.

have you tried setting your X to 1024x768x16 ?

-taj

* [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29 21:37 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-29 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

       [not found] <a31ae3a9522ffb72f5d464179dcf0632@plan9.bell-labs.com>
@ 2002-04-29 20:13 ` Vladimir G. Ivanovic
From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-04-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc; +Cc: 9fans

Russ,

Arrrgh! I've tried

  640x480x8
  1280x1024x8  [no entry in /lib/vgadb]
  1024x768x8

and the value that was set in plan9.ini in vmware.tar.bz2 originally,

  1024x768x16

with my X server set to 16 bpp and 24 bpp and I still get the same
display: windows/frames, pastel colors, but no text. My current X screen
is 1600x1200x24.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Is there some info that can be
gleamed from `aux/vga' that would be helpful? (I'm looking at the v3
manuals from Vita Nuova.)

--- Vladimir

[VMware Plan 9 v4 guest and Linux RedHat 7.2 (2.4.17-1smp) host]

--------
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

"RC" == Russ Cox <rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com> writes:

  RC> You can edit the vga resolution by editing
  RC> plan9.ini on the 9fat partition.  To do this,
  RC> log in as none instead of glenda.  You'll get
  RC> a term% shell prompt.  Type:

  RC>   9fat:
  RC>   ed /n/9fat/plan9.ini

  RC> and then edit plan9.ini (see ed(1) if you're
  RC> not familar with ed).  For example

  RC>   term% ed /n/9fat/plan9.ini
  RC>   152
  >>> /vgasize
  RC>   vgasize=640x480x8
  >>> s/640x480x8/1024x768x8
  RC>   vgasize=1024x768x8
  RC>   153
  RC>   term%

  RC> The >> lines are ones you type.

  RC> Russ

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29 16:08     ` Vangoh
From: Vangoh @ 2002-04-29 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi, the pre-configured plan9 works okay on my win2k box
with VMWare workstation 3.0. This is what I got:

(1) Display: 1024x768x16bit (no 24 bit option) doesn't
work. Same as described by other people.
(2) This workaround works:
 - change display to 800x600x8bit, start plan9 in vmware,
   now everything's fine
 - switch display back to 1024x768x16bit, got exactly what
   I need

yi

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29  9:44     ` Vladimir G. Ivanovic
From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-04-29  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[Apologoes if this is a duplicate message; I didn't see the original
make it to
the news group.

Unfortunately, me too...

Switching X to 16 bpp didn't help. I still get a 1024x768 screen with
windows/frames,
but no text, no mouse/keyboard and strange lines in the windows/frames.
(My X screen is
1600x1200 @ 16 or 24 bpp.)

I checked (and saved) my vmware log file, and I didn't see anything unusual.

I'm running Win2K guest on Linux host successfully.

I've appended my config file if that's of any use.

Any suggestions on how to proceed to identify the problem?

Thanks.

-- Vladimir

Taj Khattra wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 11:09:43PM +0200, paurea@gsyc.escet.urjc.es wrote:
>
>>1024x768 and 24bpp doesn't work for me.
>>
>> --
>

> 1024x768 and 16bpp works for me (vmware-3.1, redhat 7.2 w/nvidia drivers)
>
> -taj

#!/usr/bin/vmware
config.version = 6
virtualHW.version = 2
displayName = "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"

# CD-ROM
ide1:0.present = TRUE
ide1:0.fileName = /dev/cdrom1
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.startConnected = FALSE

# Virtual hard disk on primary master
ide0:0.present = TRUE
ide0:0.fileName = /mnt/archives/plan9/disk.vmdk
ide0:0.deviceType = ata-hardDisk
ide0:0.mode = persistent
ide0:0.writethrough = FALSE

# Floppy
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = /dev/fd0
floppy0.startConnected = FALSE

# Networked through shared IP address
ethernet0.present = TRUE
ethernet0.connectionType = nat

# Memory size
memsize = 128

# Nvram
nvram = other.nvram

# Log file
log.fileName = plan9.log

# Hints
guestOS = other

From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-04-29  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-29  9:40 ` vic
From: vic @ 2002-04-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Fixed.  (Avoided.)

I dropped the depth of the X server 24 to 16, and now
Plan 9 looks fine in vmware.

Vic

@ 2002-04-29  9:40   ` didi
From: didi @ 2002-04-29  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-29  5:46 Vladimir G. Ivanovic
From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-04-29  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[Apologies if this is yet another duplicate message.]

Unfortunately, I too am having trouble with the video.

Switching X to 16 bpp didn't help. I still get a screen with
windows/frames, but no text, no mouse/keyboard and strange lines in the
windows/frames.

My Linux host screen is 1600x1200 and my Plan9 guest is 1024x768, both
at 16 bpp.

I'm also running Win2K guest on Linux host successfully, so I know the
"hardware" is working.

I've appended my config file if that's of any use.

Any ideas on what I should try to debug this problem?

Thanks!

-- Vladimir

@ 2002-04-28 21:57   ` Taj Khattra
From: Taj Khattra @ 2002-04-28 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-28 21:09 ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-04-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Russ Cox writes:
 > The vga driver is supposed to pick up the depth from
 > VMware, ignoring what you set in plan9.ini.   Which
 > depth doesn't work for you?
 >
 > I haven't tried Plan 9 under VMware for Linux, so you're
 > in uncharted territory.

1024x768 and 24bpp doesn't work for me.
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka

"Curiosity sKilled the cat"

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-28 19:01 ` David P. Boswell
From: David P. Boswell @ 2002-04-28 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Works fine here under VMware for Linux if X resolution == Plan9 resolution
(1024x768).

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 01:45:47PM -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

> The vga driver is supposed to pick up the depth from
> VMware, ignoring what you set in plan9.ini.   Which
> depth doesn't work for you?
>
> I haven't tried Plan 9 under VMware for Linux, so you're
> in uncharted territory.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-28 17:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-28 12:25     ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-04-28 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2002-04-28  7:57   ` paurea
From: paurea @ 2002-04-28  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

vic writes:
 > Congratulations on the new release.
 >
 > I'm having trouble with video under vmware 3.1.
 > The image is distorted.
 >
 > Here's a picture since I'm not sure how to describe the
 > problem.
 > http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zandy/vmvga.jpg
 >
 > I'm running vmware on Linux.

I have exactly the same problem!!! If you find any solution, please
let me know...

--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka