* [9fans] 4e field report
@ 2002-04-30  6:06 Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2002-04-30  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I run Plan 9 on Intel 686/300MHz IDE HDD WD Caviar 28400, HP-CD Writer Plus 7800 Series ATAPI Etherlink 3C509 ISA, VGAs see below...

[-- Attachment #2: impress --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 500 bytes --]

FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF 4e

install is fast, smooth, OK over net;
ATI Rage IIC AGP Ver. 2.0 has problems (redrawing screen), surprisingly NOT DURING INSTALL!!!?!
S3 Virge/GX2 Ver. 2.0 runs fine (at least in 1024x768x8 mode);
ext2srv is gone from sources :-(((
pq also not included :-((((((((((((((((
resample now included (wow!)
new Acme is great!

Everything tested ran smoothly up to now. Now I'm going to recompile my old stuff...

Thus: 4e is REALLY GREAT! Good work, guys!

++pac.

* [9fans] 4e field report
@ 2002-04-30 10:16 Peter A. Cejchan
From: Peter A. Cejchan @ 2002-04-30 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> new Acme is great!

> What's new about Acme?

At least the "win" terminal window...
++pac.

* Re: [9fans] 4e field report
@ 2002-04-30  6:14 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-30  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> ATI Rage IIC AGP Ver. 2.0 has problems (redrawing screen), surprisingly NOT DURING INSTALL!!!?!

The difference twixt install and final boot
is that in the final boot hardware acceleration
is turned on.  Try doing

	echo hwaccel off >/dev/vgactl

and see if your rage problems go away.

> ext2srv is gone from sources :-(((

See /sys/lib/dist/pc/inst/mountdist:

# We don't support ext2 because I'm not motivated enough
# to convert ext2srv, a server that only half works to begin with,
# to 9P2000.  If someone else wants to update ext2srv, I'll be happy
# to put back support for installing from ext2 partitions back.
#			- rsc

Ignore the grammar mistakes.

> new Acme is great!

What's new about Acme?

Thanks for the feedback.  We appreciate it.

Russ

* [9fans] 4e field report
@ 2002-04-29 21:55 Andrew Pochinsky
From: Andrew Pochinsky @ 2002-04-29 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
  I want to share a success story of loading the fourth edition.

The machine used is: P-4 1.5GHz, Intel's GB850 motherboard with 256MB
of memory, Maxtor 34098H4 in primary IDE master (40GB), FX4830T cdrom
on secondary IDE master, a floppy, PS/2 mouse and ATI 3D Rage Pro 215GP
in a PCI slot.

I created a cmrom with plan9.iso.bz2 in its root and booted into
800x600x8 graphics just to be safe. Everything was going smoothly
intil the install process started bunzip'ing the distribution. It
appears that kfs did not exit after writing unpacked file. So, I
manully moved /n/kfs/dist/_plan9.iso to /n/kfs/dist/plan9.iso and
killed mountdist from another window. After a few prods, the install
process continued and everything went fine. [BTW, during the
installation the system ran like a dog, but after rebooting into the
installed plan9 responsivess improved consideably.]

Overall impression: Great job, guys!

--andrew