* Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-02 14:56 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-02 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sblake, 9fans

> 1) The disk I want to put it on is hooked to a Maxtor Ultra ATA/100
> controller. In linux, this card is supported by the Promise PDC202xx driver.
> I notice on the supported hardware page that a Promise PDC20262 driver
> exists. Will this work with my card? I have downloaded the install disk to
> try it out, and this disk doesn't show up. Is this because it's an
> unsupported card, or because I have chosen the wrong options when creating
> the install disk?

It certainly seems possible that your card could be made
to work.  Try editing plan9.ini on the install floppy to
comment out mouseport and vgasize:
	#mouseport=...
	#vgasize=...
and then boot again.  This time you'll get a shell prompt.
Run
	pci
and let us know what the output is.

If you're impatient, you could try plugging the disk into
your motherboard controller.  We only detect the motherboard
controllers by default -- the others need to be identified
explicitly.

> 2) My video card is an NVidia GeForce 2. It's not listed as explicitly
> supported or unsupported. Will this work with one of the other NVidia
> drivers? When I ran the install, I got a graphics screen, but that could
> just have been a VGA or VESA screen. Any hints?

You're all set.  There are no VGA or VESA drivers.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-02 17:24 ` Stephen Blake
From: Stephen Blake @ 2002-05-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[This is an email copy of a Usenet post to "comp.os.plan9"]

On Thu, 02 May 2002 11:02:29 -0400, Russ Cox wrote:

>> 1) The disk I want to put it on is hooked to a Maxtor Ultra ATA/100
>> controller. In linux, this card is supported by the Promise PDC202xx
>> driver. I notice on the supported hardware page that a Promise PDC20262
>> driver exists. Will this work with my card? I have downloaded the
>> install disk to try it out, and this disk doesn't show up. Is this
>> because it's an unsupported card, or because I have chosen the wrong
>> options when creating the install disk?
>
> It certainly seems possible that your card could be made to work.  Try
> editing plan9.ini on the install floppy to comment out mouseport and
> vgasize:
> 	#mouseport=...
> 	#vgasize=...
> and then boot again.  This time you'll get a shell prompt. Run
> 	pci
> and let us know what the output is.

OK, I'm hand typing this, so there may be mistakes. If there's an easy way
to do the equivalent of:

 # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
 # pci > /mnt/floppy/pci_out.txt
 # umount /dev/fd0

With the boot floppy, we might get more reliable results. I am a plan 9
newbie, though, and couldn't figure out how to do it.

Anyway, here it is (I hope my news software doesn't mangle this):

06.00.00 8086/1130   0
06.04.00 8086/1131   0
06.04.00 8086/244e   0
06.01.00 8086/2440   0
01.01.80 8086/244b   0 4:0000ffa1 16
0c.03.00 8086/2442   3 4:0000ef81 32
0c.05.00 8086/2443  10 4:0000efa1 16
01.80.00 105a/4d30   9 0:0000dfe1 16 1:0000dfad 16 2:0000dfa1 16
3:0000dfa9 16 4:0000df01 64 5:fc9e0000 131072
04.01.00 1102/0002  10 0:0000df81 32
09.80.00 1102/7002   0 0:0000dff1 16
02.00.00 10b7/9200  11 0:0000dc01 128 1:fc9cfc00 128
03.00.00 10de/0150  11 0:fd000000 16777216 1:e8000008 134217728
03.00.00 10de/0150  11 0:fd000000 16777216 1:e8000008 134217728

That means absolutely nothing to me, I hope it means something to someone
else. :)

> If you're impatient, you could try plugging the disk into your
> motherboard controller.  We only detect the motherboard controllers by
> default -- the others need to be identified explicitly.

I can't. Part of my windows installation resides on that disk. (It's for
my wife, I swear! ;)

>> 2) My video card is an NVidia GeForce 2. It's not listed as explicitly
>> supported or unsupported. Will this work with one of the other NVidia
>> drivers? When I ran the install, I got a graphics screen, but that
>> could just have been a VGA or VESA screen. Any hints?
>
> You're all set.  There are no VGA or VESA drivers.

Excellent, thanks.

> Russ

I have another question: What's the protocol for this newsgroup/mailing
list. Is 9fans mirrored to the newsgroup, or the newsgroup mirrored to the
mailing list, or what? Should I post to the newsgroup or the mailing list,
or both? I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ or Wiki.

Thanks!

Stephen

* Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-02 17:58   ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2002-05-02 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

| Is 9fans mirrored to the newsgroup, or the newsgroup mirrored to the
| mailing list, or what?

Yes, it's bidirectionally gatewayed.

* Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-03  2:55   ` Stephen Blake
From: Stephen Blake @ 2002-05-03  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu, 02 May 2002 13:27:31 -0400, Stephen Blake wrote:
> On Thu, 02 May 2002 11:02:29 -0400, Russ Cox wrote:
[snip]
>> If you're impatient, you could try plugging the disk into your
>> motherboard controller.  We only detect the motherboard controllers by
>> default -- the others need to be identified explicitly.
>
> I can't. Part of my windows installation resides on that disk. (It's for
> my wife, I swear! ;)

I just realized that maybe you meant I could just hook it to the
motherboard controller just in order to install it, then switch it back.
Is that what you're saying? If so, how would I go about it?

TIA,

Stephen

* Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-03  3:26 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-03  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just realized that maybe you meant I could just hook it to the
> motherboard controller just in order to install it, then switch it back.
> Is that what you're saying? If so, how would I go about it?

No, I meant forever.  A better solution, though: I changed our
code to treat your Promise controller like the other Promise
controller we support, so maybe it will work now -- try the boot floppy
currently on the web page.

BTW, your email address stepheneblake@earthlink.net does not work.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-02 17:24 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-02 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have another question: What's the protocol for this newsgroup/mailing
> list. Is 9fans mirrored to the newsgroup, or the newsgroup mirrored to the
> mailing list, or what? Should I post to the newsgroup or the mailing list,
> or both? I couldn't find an answer in the FAQ or Wiki.

It's bidirectionally gated.  Posts on one are bridged to the other.

Russ

* [9fans] Questions on Maxtor Ultra ATA/100 controller and NVidia GeForce 2
@ 2002-05-02  9:31 Stephen Blake
From: Stephen Blake @ 2002-05-02  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I am itching to try out Plan 9. I have two questions.

1) The disk I want to put it on is hooked to a Maxtor Ultra ATA/100
controller. In linux, this card is supported by the Promise PDC202xx driver.
I notice on the supported hardware page that a Promise PDC20262 driver
exists. Will this work with my card? I have downloaded the install disk to
try it out, and this disk doesn't show up. Is this because it's an
unsupported card, or because I have chosen the wrong options when creating
the install disk?

2) My video card is an NVidia GeForce 2. It's not listed as explicitly
supported or unsupported. Will this work with one of the other NVidia
drivers? When I ran the install, I got a graphics screen, but that could
just have been a VGA or VESA screen. Any hints?

Thanks!

Stephen Blake