Russ suggested: > > > Try copying the mp3 over to local disk first. To which I replied: > Sorry. no local disk (currently). > it's a diskless cpu/auth server that doubles as terminal, > boots kernel from flop, takes root from fs. > (150 Mhz pentium with 64 Mb ram) > My only other plan 9 machine here is a laptop > with unsupported audio hardware. [...] > I now intend to just install the update, and see what happens Installing the update did not make a difference. However, copying the mp3 to the (real fake worm) fs _does_ make a difference, and solves the problem. I do use my u9fs '-l user' aname hack: % srv tcp!unix!9fs % mount /srv/tcp!unix!9fs /n/unix '-l user' With the 3e installation it did work fine. The 'probelmatic' 4e u9fs is of the 2002-04-27 release. In the hope it sheds some light I ran iostats cat a.mp3 with a.mp3 taken from fs and u9fs (attached). The unix machine was basically idle, and has 100Mb/s network, the fs only 10 Mb/s. Any ideas how to improve this? (If there is a FM I should R, a pointer would be appreciated!) Axel.