* Re: [9fans] bug in read(1)
@ 2002-05-22  6:14 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-05-22  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Why did it change?  Perhaps it was just a bug; perhaps it was
inadvertent; perhaps there was no "why".

I put a fixed version on sources.cs.bell-labs.com.  I was unsure what
the status should be in the -n case if you got fewer than you asked
for, but I made it "eof".  Since -n is a new feature I doubt it
matters.

-rob

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1701 bytes --]

From: Mike Haertel <mike@ducky.net>
To: 9fans@cs.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] bug in read(1)
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 22:54:01 -0700 (PDT)

% man 1 read

     DIAGNOSTICS
          Read exits with status eof on end of file.

% echo -n | read
% echo $status

Should be "|eof".  This behavior is essential for scripts,
and used to work correctly in 3rd edition.  Why has it changed?

* Re: [9fans] bug in read(1)
@ 2002-05-22  7:30 ` Mike Haertel
From: Mike Haertel @ 2002-05-22  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I put a fixed version on sources.cs.bell-labs.com.

Wow, the new distribution system is less than 12 hours old
and already I am approximately 1E6 times as happy with it
as I was with ad-hoc emailed patches.  Only about 1 hour
elapsed from bug report to bug fix downloaded with no manual
merging or fear of forgetting local changes.

* [9fans] bug in read(1)
@ 2002-05-22  5:54 Mike Haertel