* [9fans] u9fs authentication via auth server?
@ 2002-06-24 13:30 Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2002-06-24 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Would it make sense to let u9fs use the (an) auth server to
authenticate, in the same way as a 'normal' (fake) worm fs does?
Such that we no longer need to know in advance from which plan 9
machines we allow access (as currently is the case, with .rhosts etc.?)
(we would still need on the unix side something to allow unix users to
 enable/disable access from plan 9, but that could be per unix user
 a(n) (number of) entrie(s) of the form user@plan9auth.dom)
Hmmm... what would it take to add something like this?

Looking at the u9fs sources I found a file auth9p1.c that is
by default not compiled. When I tried to compile (solaris 2.8)
I got compiler errors. What should that file do? (Use a 'remote'
auth server, or??)  Should it compile 'as is', or is it work
in progress?

Background:
This weekend I wanted to use my home machine to grab a file from
a unix machine in the office on which I have u9fs running,
but realized that my home machine's name is not in the .rhosts
file on the unix machine, and realized that it is not nice to really
have to add individual plan 9 machine names to allow access...

Just some thoughts,
Axel.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2002-06-24 13:30 UTC | newest]