From: Axel Belinfante <Axel.Belinfante@cs.utwente.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] what means: cpu: waiting for FS: ?
Date: Thu,  5 Sep 2002 15:54:39 +0200	[thread overview]

You are I right. I tried removing it without success.
When I run 'cpu -h cpusysname' on the cpu server itself
I get
   cpu: writing network: dir : Hangup
drawterm access does not work either.

I looked at the console of the cpu server.
Seems I indeed had some run-away processes running from my last
drawterm session:

cpu% ps -ef | axel
axel           6061    0:00   0:00     200K Broken   snoopy
axel           7266    0:00   0:00     260K Pread    factotum
axel           7273    0:00   0:00     692K Pread    fs
axel           7274    0:00   0:00     692K Sleep    fs
axel           7405    0:00   0:00     676K Pread    win
axel           7407    0:00   0:00     676K Await    win
axel           7409    0:00   0:00     244K Pread    rc

Killing the fs processes did not change a thing.
However, when I killed the win processes, also factotum went away.
Seems that did the job, now drawterm and cpu work again.
Putting back the trampoline does not seem to matter.
What does seem to matter is that the part of my lib/profile that
gets executed for a drawterm session starts a factotum
(on the cpu server), as follows below.
Could it be that this is not the best way to do things?

Axel.

switch($service){
case terminal
case cpu
	if (test -e /mnt/term/mnt/wsys) {
		# rio already running
		wsys = /mnt/term^`{cat /mnt/term/env/wsys}
		bind -a /mnt/term/mnt/wsys /dev
		echo -n $sysname > /dev/label
	}
#	if not {
#		plumber
#	}
	bind /mnt/term/dev/cons /dev/cons
	bind /mnt/term/dev/consctl /dev/consctl
	bind -a /mnt/term/dev /dev
	prompt=('cpu% ' '	')
	fn cpu%{ $* }
#	upas/fs -b
	news
	if (! test -e /mnt/term/mnt/wsys) {
		# cpu call from drawterm
		@{
			rfork n
			auth/factotum
			if(~ `{wc -l </mnt/factotum/ctl} 0)
				auth/secstore -G factotum | read -m >/mnt/factotum/ctl
			plumber
			upas/fs -b
			font=/lib/font/bit/pelm/latin1.8.font
			rio