From: Andrew <afrayedknot@thefrayedknot.armory.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] setup
Date: Mon,  9 Sep 2002 23:11:24 -0700	[thread overview]

> The file server won't run aan.  However, you shouldn't be getting
> hung up.   I take it the terminal doesn't have these problems?  Similar
> hardware or not?  If not, I'ld switch which machine is which and see if
> it moves with the machine or stays with the auth server.

The terminal has the same problem and is connected in a different room.

all three systems use identical i82557 mini-nics.

> Cron is probably running periodicly on the auth server.  Is there any
> correlation between auth doing something and the connection going
> south?  Is there anything going on when you get hung up?

cron is actually not running on the system at the moment, I turned it
off because mail wasnt set up at the time and I havent gotten around to
turning it back on

> Last but not least, are you on a switch?  Do the switch and cpu agree
> about the line being full duplex or half duplex?  Our track record in
> that department is fuzzy.

the house is on a switch, my room has a hub. The file server and
cpu/auth server are connected through my hub (thus avoiding the
switch). The terminal is in a different room and therefore, does use
the switch. However according to the resident networking guru, the hub
should be transparent so long as ieee standards for ethernet and arp
are maintained regardless of half or full duplex..

> If a cache file system helps, it will be because you're side stepping
> the real problem and it'll come back and bit you in the backside.

i figured a cache would only avoid the problem for a while, however i
was thinking that maybe if all file access doesnt go away the system
may be able to reconnect...

The last time i made this happen i was connected through 2 ssh links,
telnet, ftp and a drawterm. Im pretty baffled by this one. Thanks for
your help anyways.

> We normally run as few services on the auth server as possible.  However,
> since your auth server and cpu server are the same machine...  Once you
> have your n cpu servers, you can scale back the auth server to do just
> a few things.  We normally run them standalone so that they can't easily
> be hacked because we left something unprotected on the mail file server.
> /rc/ibin/service.auth has the things that need to run as the hostowner.
> It contains things that cpu's run (imap4d, pop3, and ssh servers).  This
> should eventually become the null set because of factotum.  It also includes
> the authentication server (il566 and tcp567).  This needs to run as
> hostowner because it needs to access the key database.

so back to my question, I would assume i need a seperate directory
(perhaps mapped to the same place) for each type of system?

> The cpu command now uses only tcp port 17010/ncpu.  17013 is only for an
> older version of cpu.  17006 for an older one still.  They're both obsolete.
> If you're running cron, you probably want to leave the rexexec port open also,
> tcp port 17009/rexexec.  Finally, both systemdialing the cpu will have to
> authenticate to your auth server so it needs to get to tcp port 567 on the auth server.

thats a big help, thanks

> You should be able to just have the variable
>
> 	cpu=ra
>
> Or you could just use '-h ra' whenever you run cpu.
> By adding the !cpu you're trying to connect to an
> old version cpu server.  I'm surprised anything answers
> at all.  Check that your /lib/ndb/common matches what's
> on sources.cs.bell-labs.com.  It could be that you have
> some odd mix of old and new style cpu clients and servers.

The original standalone system was a release 4 only machine. It installed
from the internet, the file server was populated with the contents
of the iso that came with the installation, once the file server was
filled I disconnected the drive and rebooted the standalone system as
the auth server.