* [9fans] Stuck at PBS...
@ 2002-09-11  5:27 Peter Downs
From: Peter Downs @ 2002-09-11  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

A system with the via 82c586 chipset, amd k5 pr133,
CL-5446 video, and elnk3 (3c509b) is hanging at
PBS... with the floppy reading back and forth non stop.

Are there any known issues with this via chipset?

I even tried swapping floppy drives, with no luck.

* Re: [9fans] Stuck at PBS...
@ 2002-09-11  5:43 ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2002-09-11  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:27:35AM -0500, Peter Downs wrote:

> A system with the via 82c586 chipset, amd k5 pr133,
> CL-5446 video, and elnk3 (3c509b) is hanging at
> PBS... with the floppy reading back and forth non stop.

I believe that the floppy driver in newer versions of Plan 9 has
problems whose nature is beyond my ability to unravel.

> I even tried swapping floppy drives, with no luck.

If you can install without the floppy (I've never tried), I would
suggest running a kernel without the floppy driver.

Feedback proving or disproving my theory is welcome.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Stuck at PBS...
@ 2002-09-11  6:06   ` Peter Downs
From: Peter Downs @ 2002-09-11  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I believe that the floppy driver in newer versions of Plan 9 has
> problems whose nature is beyond my ability to unravel.

Odd, I downloaded the floppy again, wrote a couple of floppies,
a couple of times.  One of them finally worked.  Unfortunately,
I can't say if it was the floppy drive on the computer, the drive
on the windows box I wrote the disks with, or the disks themselves.

Oh well, Glenda is smiling on me now, so.

Peter