This is slightly goofy, please bear with me. It occured to me that over the course of time, I tend to end up with a lot of keys in the factotum on my local laptop. However, it's always the same keys, and it's repetative and annoying to type every time I login. Naturally, I want to put them this in a file, but because I'm just a little paranoid about my laptop getting stolen (and someone finding a file called ``passwords!''), I don't want it in plain text. Secstore is the obvious answer, but only works on a network, and I don't really want to bother running secstored locally. It'd be nice to have something simple that just encrypts and decrypts files on my local machine. Auth/aescbc does this, but isn't particularly convenient since you have to pass the raw key to it (in hex) via the environment (in the variable HEX). So, I wrote a small program that acts as a wrapper around auth/aescbc, and called it µsecstore. It gets the key to use from factotum, so it's pretty convenient, and I feel safer using this than storing my passwords in a file in the clear. I usually run it out of my $lib/lib/profile as: µsecstore -r $home/lib/factotum.aes | read -m > /mnt/factotum/ctl I've attached it below, along with a man page. Is there another way to do this, btw, that might be better? Criticisms and suggestions are welcome. - Dan C.