From: Steven Taschuk <staschuk@telusplanet.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] OS install floppy hangs during boot on Bochs 1.4.1
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:08:22 -0700	[thread overview]

Quoth Russ Cox:
> > (Indeed, perhaps the MD5 hashes should be on the download pages.)
>
> there's no md5 hash for the floppy
> image because each floppy has a different
> plan9.ini depending on what hardware you
> described.

Ah.  Yes, I'd forgotten that.

Would it be prohibitively time-consuming to calculate the hash on
the fly after the "make download diskette" button is invoked,
i.e., at the same time as the diskette image is created?  Then the
hash could appear on the same page as the actual floppy image
download link.

(The hash in my previous post was, as it happens, for the vanilla
all-defaults floppy.)

[...]
> how hard is bochs to install?

I found it painless.  In GNU and facsimile environments at least,
it goes something like this:
  1. ./configure, make, make install
  2. Install one font.
  3. Configure a machine to be emulated.
That's it.  On my machine it compiled out of the box, no hacking
or weird ./configure --options required, and I didn't need to
learn any black magic to tweak the sample bochsrc file into the
form I desired.

See <http://bochs.sourceforge.net/>.

--
Steven Taschuk           | I will be a square age
staschuk@telusplanet.net | in a square year.