From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] dynamic loading, was "Ugly Q, I admit"
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:05:59 +0200	[thread overview]

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:54:12AM -0500, Bruce Ellis wrote:

> In the "I'm a CPU" sense it is not too unlike any other mips.
> Not different enough from the 4700 or the 7000 to get me upset.

I entered the commercial computer marketplace just as sanctions
against South Africa started biting.  Only lucky (?!) developers
in the Defence and Police forces got to see all the exciting
architectures.

What I'm asking is how hard it would be for a VMware-like utility
to allow Plan 9 and the "native" operating system to co-exist.
Then one can play games _and_ have a Plan 9 system.

There are lots of PS2s out there!  Few of them, at least relatively,
are likely to be running Linux, fewer still are likely to be bought
to run Plan 9.

In passing, the NetBSD folk are getting close to providing PowerPC
and i386 emulation for OS-X on the Apple platforms.  That is equally
exciting.  Is this how the Wintel egemony (sp?) is going to be
broken?

++L