From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] floppy based standalone auth server
Date: Mon,  2 Dec 2002 09:49:23 +0200	[thread overview]

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 04:37:31PM +0900, YAMANASHI Takeshi wrote:

> I am running a 3rd ed. auth server obtaining
> its root fs from a floppy disk.

Valiant!

> So, could you give me outlines about the
> 4th ed. auth server, like boot sequence,
> changes impacted by factotum, or something.

I'd be very curious as to what that floppy contains.  I had been
considering trimming the distribution down to bare essentials for
an auth server, but never got adventurous enough.

I can suggest that you'll have a bigger kernel (add factotum) and
that you'll need access to the secure store with the associated
auth/secstored.

Other than that, my guess is that you will merely need 4ed versions
of the 3ed utilities you are presently using.  Others may be more
authoritative.

If you're willing to list the contents of the floppy you use, I
would certainly be grateful.  A "proto" file would be wonderful.

Note that crypt functions are slow on the 486SX/25 host I use for
4ed (and 3ed _and_ 2ed!!) authentication, so you may want to take
that into consideration.  The floppy drive would make this slower,
but ramfs may be the way to speed things up if you have enough
memory.

++L