From: Scusi <scusi@xs4all.nl>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] Hi together | a few newbie questions
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 20:12:51 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi plan9-fans,

I installed plan9 on a IBM T20 Laptop last night. I'm already a fan,
a great OS so far. It's a bit strange in the beginning, but once you
found out it's very consistent. I already know i like it.
The only thing i really miss is perl, but well seems i have to port it ;-).

hoever since this is my first plan9 install i thought it's a good idea
to setup a auth and cpu server (for maybe more plan9 machines following)
I stuck somewhere in the middle of the wiki docu about
"Configuring a standalone CPU server"

I established a nvram, like described in the docu after rebooting plan9
also complains about it, but it does not ask for the password and
the auth id. Any ideas ?

Another thing is the wavelan support. I have a Orinoco Gold Card
from Lucent. I compiled wavelan into my kernel, the kernel also detects
the wavelan IF on startup, but i can't find the device.
Do i have to make a device like in Linux and Solaris ?

Also my /rc/bin/cpurc (i edited like the doku sais) does not seems
to be read/executet, at least there is not network conectivity after startup.
If i do it by hand on a term (like the example in ipconfig manpage)
it works and i can ping hosts, resolve dns names.

Also i would like to know how to mount a floppy disk (e.g. the install disk,
to have a look at plan9.ini on there)

Is there any more docu around (or maybe a good book) will help me to get settled in
with plan9 ?

If these questions are in the docu and i was just too stupid to find it flame me
with RTFM if you like, i really tried but sorry.

Thanks so far
/scusi