* [9fans] isc pcmcia related Qs
@ 2003-01-04 18:41 sah
From: sah @ 2003-01-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Heya,

Occasionally if I'm not paying attention I'll boot my laptop without
the network cable plugged into my pcmcia card.  Doing so means I get
no link light on the card when i do plug it in.  How might I kick
the driver to refresh or otherwise reload itself?

I'll also occasionally knock the cable out while booted from the
network (non kfs).  If the cable remains out long enough my link
with the fs server (i believe) dies at which point I've found my only
option to be to reboot.  Any way to avoid this?

I haven't looked at the internal interface to pcmcia, but the external
is awful for us klutzes.  I can't count how many cables/cards I've
broken over the years.

Cheers,

Sam

* Re: [9fans] isc pcmcia related Qs
@ 2003-01-04 18:47 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2003-01-04 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i believe plan9 does not yet support hotplugging (hotswap) devices. there is
some code to do this in the bitsy kernel, but not the 386 one.

as for your other question, if the connection to the file server is lost the
only option seems to be to reboot.. i'm not sure whether aan ('always available
network') may help you with this -- i haven't tried it...

andrey