* [9fans] /dist/replica/inst script and a proposal.
@ 2003-01-14  3:30 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-01-14  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I found the replica configuration file listed in Forsyth's notes on
upgrading to 4th Edition really useful for manipulating my new (il
based, old school) file server.  In particular, since the new machine
isn't yet hooked up to the net, it's useful for installing changes
and the like from the nightly ISO image.

I propose that this file be placed in the distribution as
/dist/replica/inst (with slight, and obvious, modifications for names
of course) as a convenience for those working with file servers and
so on.  The copy I've been using is attached to this mail.

Another thing that would be really cool is if there were a standard
way to include site specific replica configuration strings in the
configurations for the stuff in /n/sources/extra.  I found myself
having to hand-edit a bunch of config files to change things like
the clientmount function and stuff.  I suppose a simple way to do
that would be something like the following, using noweb as an
example:

---
#!/bin/rc

if (test -r /dist/replica/site)
	. /dist/replica/site
if not {
	s=/n/dist
	serverroot=$s
	fn servermount { status='' }
	fn serverupdate { status='' }

	fn clientmount { 9fs kfs }
	c=/n/kfs/dist/replica
	clientroot=/n/kfs
	clientproto=/n/kfs/sys/src/cmd/noweb/noweb.proto
}
serverlog=$s/noweb.log
serverproto=$s/noweb.proto

clientdb=$c/client/noweb.db
clientexclude=(dist/replica/client)
clientlog=$c/client/noweb.log
---

The idea here is that it's easy to change defaults around without
having to go through tricks....

	- Dan C.