* [9fans] /rc/bin/C; hey, where'd my consoles go?
@ 2003-01-15 21:09 Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-01-15 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I set up a consolefs on my CPU/auth server, using USB<->Serial
converters to give myself more serial ports than I really had
(there are only two machines; I loop /dev/eia0 from the auth
server back to one of the USB ports, and then I have the file
server plugged into another USB port).  I start aux/consolefs
from cpurc before just about anything else, and /mnt/consoles
looks fine.  The only problem is that when I try to run ``C''
from anywhere, /mnt/consoles comes up as an empty directory.
What's up with that?  Shouldn't /mnt/consoles be in the name
space of whatever is answering the listen for import?  I've
worked around it by doing something like the following:

	mntgen
	import $server '#s' /n/$server^srv
	mount /n/$server^srv/consoles /mnt/consoles

instead of just trying: import $server /mnt/consoles.  That
works fine, but I can't help but feel like I'm missing something
obvious.  Thanks!

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] /rc/bin/C; hey, where'd my consoles go?
@ 2003-01-15 22:19 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-15 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You need to mount #s/consoles in your
/lib/namespace.console-server-name,
as done in /sys/lib/sysconfig/auth/boundary/namespace.boundary.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] /rc/bin/C; hey, where'd my consoles go?
@ 2003-01-15 22:21   ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-01-15 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You need to mount #s/consoles in your
> /lib/namespace.console-server-name,
> as done in /sys/lib/sysconfig/auth/boundary/namespace.boundary.

Cool.  I knew it was something simple.  Thanks, Russ.  Still, I'm
not sure I don't like changing C around a little better....  Hmm.

@ 2003-01-15 22:26     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-01-15 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you'll have the same problem when you cpu to the server.
or ssh to the server.  or anything else.

unless you put the fix in the namespace file.
that's what it's for.

* Re: [9fans] /rc/bin/C; hey, where'd my consoles go?
@ 2003-01-15 22:32       ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-01-15 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> you'll have the same problem when you cpu to the server.
> or ssh to the server.  or anything else.

Well, by having the import in the script, C works consistently
everywhere.

> unless you put the fix in the namespace file.
> that's what it's for.

That's assuming I want the files in everyone's namespace, or want
to be able to get at them from ssh or cpu (and again, C still works).
Not that it matters if other people can see them, of course.

	- Dan C.

* [9fans] fs (was: /rc/bin/C; hey, where'd my consoles go?)
@ 2003-01-16  7:57 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-01-16  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

	I just couldn't resist to tell you that here we're now running
using fossil with its partitions (as well as venti's) living in a raid
made with fs(3). It's just great. We're now using a single server
to service both auth and fs. All other machines are really stateless,
which means that there's just a single machine to admin (no consolefs,
more ups time, less points of failure, highly available alan parsons
project mp3 service, ...)

BTW, fossil seems to be quite robust. We had no panics, no aborts. It's
a great file system.