* [9fans] vmware 4.0 usb problem
@ 2003-06-27  9:00 Nikolay Paskov
From: Nikolay Paskov @ 2003-06-27  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've posted yesterday a message about a problem with vmware 4.0. The problem
is somewhere in the initialization from the southbridge. After some
experiments I realised that the problem is in the USB initialization. I'm not
sure about other OSs but plan9 definitly hangs on the usb initialization. On
my desktop system I have the same image and the same version of vmware but
there is no problem. The southbridge on my desktop system is VIA the same is
on my laptop I suppose different versions. Now I have plan9 running on my
laptop and I'll try to find out what is the problem.

Nikolay

* Re: [9fans] vmware 4.0 usb problem
@ 2003-06-27 16:53 ` Nikolay Paskov
From: Nikolay Paskov @ 2003-06-27 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Friday 27 June 2003 11:00, Nikolay Paskov wrote:
> I've posted yesterday a message about a problem with vmware 4.0. The
> problem is somewhere in the initialization from the southbridge. After some
> experiments I realised that the problem is in the USB initialization. I'm

The problem is not in USB initialization. After some probes I realised that
the cdrom is the problem. 10 minutes later I found the following with google:

[source: help: VMWare workstation v4.0: search for 'legacy']

             Checking 'Legacy emulation' causes the virtual hardware
             to work as it did in the prior release of the VMWare
             workstation (thus VMWare v3.2 for Windows/Linux workstation
             here).
             By default, VMWare v4.0 for Windows/Linux workstation
             attempts to make available the advanced features of your
             drive, but in some cases this may cause the drive not to
             work with your virtual machine. Checking this option
             reverts the VMWare workstation to the prior emulation
             mode for CD-ROM drives)