Because of the RTT to some of the machines I have to edit code on, I decided to dig out the copy of sam I downloaded a few years ago, and get it going again. [1] As part of this I did a few hacks, the main one being ripping out the code in sam that plumbs together the io between samterm and sam, moving it into a seperate stub starter - just 'cause I want to play some games with the startup sequence when using SSH - anyone interested in these? The other hack (for the moment) is removing the '\n' appended to the use of the 'Send' menu choice. I find it more useful without the newline - does anyone actually find it useful with the newline? I also noticed what appears to be a couple of bugs in the use of tmpcstr() and freetmpstr(). I've had a glance at my copy of the 3rd ed. plan 9 sources, and these still appear to be there (one incorrectly fixed), but since I've not looked at the 4th ed. source yet, I don't know if they still applies. So I have diffs against the old netlib version, which probably aren't of much interest and the following (hand hacked) diffs which may well apply to the plan 9 version. If someone want's to patch the unix netlib version, then it may be of help to some other people... One of these days, I really should get a copy of plan 9 running on a machine to try it out... DF [1] I also grabbed the latest 1998 copy from netlib to compare, and apart from changing a bunch of copyright lines (advancing 6 years) from AT&T -> Lucent, not much seems to have been altered. Mind - as a red rag to the licencing wags - the licence for the netlib verison of sam is very liberal...