From: Tim Fraser <tfraser@cs.umd.edu>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] changing file ownership with fossil?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:36:15 -0400	[thread overview]

jmk> An oversight. I've tried to fix it (untested) and correct the man
jmk> page.  New source and man page on sources.

Thank you for your rapid response.  I re-ran replica/pull around
22:00EST on 14 October 2003 and was happy to see the new fossil binary
and sources download.  Unfortunately, I was once again unable to use
the -W flag.  A transcript:

term% con /srv/fscons
prompt: fsys main
main: srv -APW admin
usage: srv [-Adp] [service]
main: srv -AP admin
main: >>> q
term% mount /srv/admin /mnt/admin
term% lc -l /mnt/admin/386/bin/fossil/fossil
--rwxrwxr-x M 36 glenda sys 345764 Oct 13 22:22 fossil
term% chgrp -o sys /mnt/admin/386/bin/fossil/fossil
chgrp: can't wstat /mnt/admin/386/bin/fossil/fossil: wstat -- not owner

I have also experienced another problem that may be related:  While
using the 29 September and 12 October versions of fossil in -AP mode,
in addition to warnings about failures to set uids, I also witnessed
warnings like this one:

warning: cannot set mtime on /mnt/admin/sys/src/cmd/fossil/9srv.c

(This problem seems to be confined to source files, not binaries.)

At the time, I wasn't too concerned.  But, when I did my latest
replica/pull to acquire your changes to fossil, I found replica
refusing to update some files:

sys/src/cmd/fossil/9user.c: locally modified; will not update

I have not modified these files.  Is this refusal the result of
replica/pull's earlier failure to set the mtimes on these files?

Once again, thank you for your assistance!

Tim Fraser / U. Maryland Institute for Advanced Computer Studies